1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZX-6R Exhaust Question

Discussion in 'General' started by 00RedZX-6R, Apr 16, 2002.

1. 00RedZX-6R

00RedZX-6R Member

I am riding a 00 ZX-6R this race in the midwestcycle fest, and I am trying to figure out which exhaust to run. I already have and muzzy full system SS/ALuminum with an round can. I was doing a track day yesterday, and I hit the can three times before anything else touched down. The third time lifted the rear off the ground and spun me out. Not much damage, but it really pissed me off. I have tried to call Muzzy for a high pipe, but they don't offer one. A oval can will get me a little more space, but not much. I know a high pipe restricts flow and hp, but if I can't put the hp down it doesn't much matter. Just curious what you use to get the ground clearance. I am going to try and finagle the pipe to get more clearance, but I don't think I can get much more than I already have. Just curous what the few 6R guys are running.

My riding style could affect the ground clearance some, but I would think other parts beside the can would touch first. I tried to hang off the bike further the rest ofthe day to get mote clearance, but I already hang off a ways, and any more doesn't seam feasible through the really tight corners.

Any advise besides flames would be appreciated.

2. WERA112

WERA112 Member

I ran a stock exhaust 'back in the day' in WERA 600 Production and had no problems... that is after I had someone sit on the bike and I 'adjusted' the can height. It sounds crude, but it worked and you really couldn't tell asthetically. Also, the bike's rear ride height could be hurting you. The ZX6R's needed the the rear jacked way up. The first year I ran a stock shock and had the nut jammed against the kootter pin. Good luck.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Exactly what 112 said - raise the ride height or adjust your hanging off to allow the bike to stay up straighter but the ride height will do it better.

The one I tuned we had the rear as high as it would go also, even dropped the front a bit but that was rider preference.

4. 00RedZX-6R

00RedZX-6R Member

I already have the rear jacked up 8mm. I could go a little more, and will give that a try. I will try to hang off a bit more as well. I already though about drappong the fron a few mm, so I could give that a try as well.

I am going to try and force the pipe in a little more to get it out of the way. Like you said, it is crude, but if it works great. It really sucks to hit the can going through the corner.

On the plus side, the grinding during the crash increased ground clearance in itself, by shaping the pipe like an SV 650.

5. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

I am not sure that raising your ride height is to your advantage. HMF makes the best pipe for the ZX6R bar none. I know; I tested quite a few different brands.

Email me for info. The Suzuki guys have this board bugged...

6. fourandsix

fourandsix Well-Known Member

I would suggest you get a Hindle for your bike , we have raced zx6r's and have never had our pipes drag ,we only use the standard elbow not the high ones and have no problems.

7. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

What we were told to do by Kawasaki was to raise both front and rear and THEN adjust from there. Basically, the 6R has ground clearance issues and if you don't raise them, you'll drag everything. We've had some pretty damn good luck over the past 4 years with all the models, but we are still dragging the lower right fairing!

We currently have the front raised to the point that the caps are flush with the triples and we had Max lengthen the fork tubes to gain even more front raising ability. This is for the '00-'02's. Personally, I like the '98-'99's fronts better - the tubes are longer (clip-ons were on top in stock set-up) and allowed to be raised more.

Jack it up 'til you think it's enough in both the front and rear and then go a little more. Just ask Max.

If you want a base set-up, call Tracy at 219-896-3697. He can give you the base set-up we use and then it is from there that you have to adjust for your ability/riding style.

Another note, stay away from Muzzy's stuff. It's junk. Haven't heard good things about HMF, but heard good things about Hindle. We run Kerkers and with doing some 1 on 1 R&D with them, we finally have a Hindle quality pipe.