1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zwift setup suggestions

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Jan 1, 2017.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

so the other cycling thread reminded me of this. My buddy has been doing it and it looks like fun. I couldn't care less about road cycling but I love mtb. Problem is winter sucks for riding so every year during winter I lose everything I gained in the summer. I have a schwinn roadie as old as I am that i intend to use but wanna do this on the cheap. So what's the cheapest setup that will work? Yes I realize higher quality stuff, a good power meter and all that will give better results but I spend all my money on mtb stuff and frankly just want something that works for zwift.

S Tsotsoros likes this.
  2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Garmin 520 kit and a classic trainer (check for supported trainer on Zwift; there's a lot of magnetic and fluid ones on the list that can be had for a few bucks.)

Bonus: the Garmin kit is awesome always.

Might want to trade your rear knobbie for a slick. Park the front knobbie on a few books to make your setup even.

3. metricdevilmoto

Also, dirt gearing will kick rocks for Zwift.

4. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

Go to Zwift.com and do some research on what trainers are supported.

To use a classic trainer you need some extra sensors to fill that data void. I'm guessing that's what the Garmin 520 will do??

I've been using a Tacx Satori Smart and it's been good. After buying the trainer I had to get an ANT+ USB dongle and an ANT+ HR strap.

I bought the trainer from Evans Cycles
    https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ca/tacx-satori-smart-trainer-EV220390

You can use Zwift on a tablet or laptop but I like having a bigger TV in front of me. And don't forget the fan!

[​IMG]

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Funny, I'm not a bike rider at all. Reading these 2 threads on this Zwift thing, makes me want to research it. Tyler already has his bikes here that he bought for training while racing, and he has a fluid trainer that we bought him for Christmas or birthday one year. Don't know the brand, but it is green.

How much would I need to spend to do something like this, because just riding around on a trainer wouldn't be fun for me without the competition aspect.

I think he has some kind of electronics/gauge on the bike, but I don't know what it is, will report back later when I get home from work.

6. caboose

Well, the first things to do are figure out exactly what trainer you have and exactly what electronics package the bike has.

If you're luckily you already have most of what you'll need to go Zwifting. After that it's only $10/month for membership.

If you're not so lucky you can start looking at trainers and other sensors that are required. The Tacx trainer I have is about $200USD. Add in a couple other doodads I needed and it probably cost me about $300USD to get everything I needed.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I have a Garmin Edge 810 and a cheap ANT+ dongle I bought off Amazon for 20$ that I connect on my laptop. Bought an Elite gel trainer for 200$ on 50% sale at a local shop. Works pretty well. Oh, and trainer specific tire that I put on and old wheel I had laying around.

8. caboose

Y'all can find me on Strava.. Tim Toldnes.

9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Zwift is a godsend for indoor training. You may be able to get away with just Garmin speed and cadence sensors or similar -- in fact I know you can because I couldn't find my head unit for months but still used zwift.

If you have bluetooth or ant+ sensors then you just need a dongle for the computer. Riding with either a powermeter or a smart trainer will give you the most 'realistic' experience, but I think Zwift can guestimate pretty well with about any trainer. Any recent PC / laptop should be able to run it just fine. It's not compatible with Chrome and I don't think it works with Mac OS but it supports iOS now. Phones can act as head units for the bike and as interfaces with zwift, although there's not much to do once you start pedaling

A TV or second computer can help if you're not in the mood to watch the virtual riders. And it syncs to Strava where you get credit for altitude gains made in Zwift.

Just don't get caught up in the Zwift dork competition. People get reaaaal serious about who is better than who and whine about cheating all the time. How the hell do you cheat when the goal is to get in a workout, not win a damn video game???

I've been looking at the Kickr hard today. Then looking at Christmas bills and reality.

Basic setup:
    [​IMG]

Rich dork setup:
    [​IMG]

caboose likes this.
  10. metricdevilmoto

Zwift works on Mac OS.

11. caboose

The same how the hell as riders cutting trails to get Strava KOMs. People are stupid.

Jed likes this.
  12. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight, i can buy a trainer, add the garmin 520 that i was going to buy anyway (with sensors?), use my wahoo bluetooth heart rate and still go on zwift?

i was going to buy this https://www.amazon.com/Kinetic-T-2700-Machine-Smart-Trainer/dp/B00XLKVC44 but i could just buy the non smart one? What else do i need? I cant believe how confusing getting on a trainer can be. I was going to buy the wahoo kickr snap but rather not spend the money on that unit and use it for something else.

13. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Have been looking at this too as I am only able to mtb once a week and consequently get hosed by my riding buddies.

I think I already have the parts (listed fluid trainer with known power curve, wahoo SC speed & cadence sensor and wahoo hr strap), but not sure if the laptop will pickup the Bluetooth sensors. If it works it will beat the typical trainer workouts which I can't stick to for some reason.

14. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I have a dumb trainer and a quarq power meter. As long as you have at least speed and cadence any recently made trainer will work. Power gets you a more realistic experience in terms of matching your fitness against other VR riders. A true smart trainer gives you the benefit of matching effort to terrain and drafting.

15. caboose

Just banged out the TT#4 workout... it's really difficult to push less than 100 watts!!

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Thank you. When I get home from work tonight, I will look what stuff he has.

If I had seen this thread before, I would have known what to ask for Christmas. Would be kind of cool, since I do need to work out this old body.

caboose likes this.
  17. metricdevilmoto

Yes. You'll need an Ant+ USB plug for your laptop to read the Garmin sensors. They're $20 on Amazon.

ajcjr likes this.
  18. metricdevilmoto

I struggle with those parts of the workouts as well when it tells you to push low wattage during the intervals and stuff. I've been using the gearing to keep my cadence up while the wattage drops.

19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Trying to research this; I have a Schwinn Pro IC. So from my brief search would all I need is a Wahoo Blue SE Rpm? Add an app, thinking Swift at the moment and I would be set for 70 bucks?

One thing Im not sure about is where/how is wattage measured?

20. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I looked it up and doesn't look like your trainer is supported, which means you would select "not listed" for your trainer. I think it will use a conservative lower wattage, ie lower speed.

I've started a 7day free trial, no ccard required at all. I have a ghetto setup, supported fluid trainer with known power curve, and wahoo SC and tickr Bluetooth sensors. I had to download the app, pair the sensors to the app and then the app speaks to the computer, but it all worked, with approx 3s delay. The workout was pretty fun considering my legs are aching, within a few minutes I was already racing someone, then peleton after peleton came past at warp speed. Wish they had an mtb version with all the WC tracks.