1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z50r help

Discussion in 'General' started by Dragginass, Jul 20, 2023.

1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I'm getting a "ticking" sound from my old z50r. I've had it a few years and it seems to be low hours. Anyway, under load at low rpm the engine ticks/knocks. I adjusted the valves per the service manual, but no luck. Amy ideas what to check next?

[​IMG]

Steak Travis likes this.
  2. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

It is something in thw shifter or transmission I believe. Had a guy bring one to me for the same thing, but then didn't want to pay to buy parts. Forget exactly what it was

27 likes this.
  3. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Cam chain? Honda has a bazillion different tensioner designs, but since you have a SM it should have specific directions for adjusting it.

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Cool little bike.
    Hope you get it fixed.

5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

If you don’t get it fixed it’ll probably never break… I had that same one and it’s been between three of us over 20 years and is still ticking… it’s something that is transmission related as it increases with speed not RPM… but seems stable and it’s been ridden a bunch

Sabre699 likes this.
  6. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Just run it until it breaks ( it won't break) and then replace it with a 125.

Photo and 27 like this.
  7. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

You say "under load at low RPM" - so does that mean as you are riding it?

A friend has a bike that was making a clicking sound and it turned out to be a slightly tight link in the drive chain as it was hitting a plastic guide block.

So you need to be sure where the sound is coming from, the engine, the chain, the wheels, what ever....

8. Dragginass

Thanks for the ideas, fellas. It's one of those annoyances I can't look past lol. I have someone who wants to buy it from me, but I don't feel right selling it as is.

A little while ago I adjusted the clutch to rule that out since the Kickstart had slipped on me anyway. I think the noise is coming from the head.

Tomorrow I'll check the timing indexes and cam chain and cam chain tensioner.

9. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Would love to find one of those. I’m on the PW but me and my bros grew up on the 94-95 z 50’s

[​IMG]

Dragginass likes this.
  10. Dragginass

Very cool! There's a few collector groups on Facebook. Mine is a hybrid of OEM and aftermarket parts, but the all original bikes from the early 90s are selling for around $3k these days.

11. Dragginass

Well, not sure if this has anything to do with the noise, but she's gonna have to have a full rebuild now.

[​IMG]

12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

half of them I’ve ever had from the XR 50s to the 100s have had bent shift shafts… a little ticking on a 30 year old ride is ok by me ;)

13. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Did they pull that chain up with other debris from the titanic?

Sabre699 likes this.
  14. Dragginass

Lol yep. That one is going in the trash.

15. Dragginass

It could have been RTF for another 20 years, but I didn't have it in me.....time to fix it right.

27 likes this.
  16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

A lifan 125 bolts right up... just the right amount of power to hurt ratio...lol

Photo and Dragginass like this.