1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YZF 600R rear wheel on an FZR??

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by newyorkredneck, Feb 11, 2013.

1. newyorkredneck

newyorkredneck Well-Known Member

The f2-3 rear wheel swap is popular but the yzf 600r rear wheel looks like the fzr and is really cheap. The sprocket carrier, axle, adjusters ect are all different but has anyone tried?
    After a little research the tdm 850 takes the same sprocket carrier and might have the best chance of bolting up, but they were only imported to the US for one or two years. I'm not thrilled about getting one from Europe. The shipping is crazy and if the deal went bad it would be hard if not impossible to get any money back.

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I know people swap the YZF swingarm on, run the whole YZF setup at that point. Add length and weight though.

3. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I know that one guy use to run one but he had to spread the rear swingarm to make it fit.

There is also the 3 spoke ZX6e wheel....I have seen that on one.

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

On the FZR 400 list a couple guys are trying a Speedwerks F2 based 17" conversion kit that actually drops some weight.

5. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Just to be clear: the TDM wheel uses same sprocket carrier, dampers, brake disk as the FZR 600, but not the 400.

6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

We did a YZF wheel swap in 96 ish. It was a bad idea. The hub is to big, so you spread the swingarm and you have a hard time doing it even and then you have to line up the sprockets. Look for something that has a more narrow hub.

7. fzrkidd

fzrkidd Well-Known Member

The Speedwerks conversion is an older gen SV 650 wheel. It is fantastic, I just had one put on the super bike I'm building. Wheels are easy to find and cheap, the conversion is simple and clean looking, and the guys at Speedwerks are Awesome! They'll bend over backwards to help you out!!

8. newyorkredneck

newyorkredneck Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I've tried to be original and creative with the fzr 600 but I guess there are times to follow the crowd.

9. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Considering it's a 600, i'm pretty certain if you can source a TDM wheel, it would be a direct swap.

Cush Drive and Brake Rotor are the same. Based on my measurements for mounting on a 400, it would be same spacing to the brake rotor. Cush seems to indicate there's no difference on the sprocket side. I think worst case you may need to mod the spacers.

Just finding one of those hens teeth in the US is difficult.......

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Bah, right. Got my wheels sources mixed up.

11. shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

I've got an F3 conversion and it works out real nice. F3 wheels are easy to find

12. Commander_Chaos

Commander_Chaos Hillbilly Genius

The toughest part about the F2 conversion I did was getting accurate measurements. The rest was relatively simple lathe work. I've heard that the box-section 400 swing arm is wider than the later one.

Still, the speed works kit sounds like the least grief.

13. shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

I just happen to have a complete F3 kit for sale:D