1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yz80 no compression

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Timmoe, Dec 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Timmoe

Timmoe Member

I have a 94 yz80 that can’t get compression over 60psi. Top end was replaced with big bore and oem parts. New gaskets. What could be stopping it from getting enough compression to start?

2. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Just built? Like just picked up from shop? Or you built it?

3. Timmoe

Timmoe Member

I built it then took it to a shop where it is now. He switched top ends and it still isn’t getting compression. I don’t want to pay anymore money I just want to fix it myself but can’t figure out the next place to look.

4. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Sure it is correct size piston and correct cylinder bore size? Crank seals good? It is a 94 model. Cylinder and head torqued down?

5. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

What piston to cylinder clearance?

6. Timmoe

Timmoe Member

I had a 47mm std bore piston with the oem cylinder and big bore kit came with everything together. I was thinking crank seals also because the guy I got it from said he replaced them but I was wondering if he installed them correctly I actually have a set of cometic seals. But someone also told me that seals won’t stop compression. But a long time ago someone told me 2 stroke motors compression is in the top and bottom end.

7. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

If the shop can't figure out need new shop.

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. Timmoe

Timmoe Member

They will but I don’t want them jumping around fixing stuff then have more money in it than it’s worth.

9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Did they find any leaks when they pressure tested the engine? If they haven't pressure tested the engine yet, they need to. Or you need to find a new shop. First step after rebuilding a two stroke is pressure test before you start it and burn it up.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. Timmoe

Timmoe Member

They did a compression test afterwards. The said it came up a few psi but not enough to start. I thought 2 stroke motors were pretty simple so I’m stumped on what could be the problem. Will crank seals stop the compression?

11. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Yes crank seals are important, they need to seal. Also reed valve needs to close. They act on tension and they are essentially one way valve.

TurboBlew and K51000 like this.
  12. Timmoe

Timmoe Member

I checked the reeds they’re flat. I think I’m going to replace the crank seals since I have them and see if it fix the problem.

13. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Need to check and see what piston to cylinder clearance is and what ring gap is. That is your biggest source of compression problem right there.

14. Timmoe

Timmoe Member

No way 2 top ends would have that problem. It’s possible but not likely.

K51000 likes this.
  15. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Pressure test != Compression test FYI. Pressure test involves blocking off the exhaust and intake, and bringing the engine up to 5 or 6 PSI and seeing if it'll hold that pressure over time without leaking down. I really need to build up a pressure test setup for my sumo...

16. Timmoe

Timmoe Member

So it needs a leak down test not compression test? Because a compression test was done as stated.

17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Compression test just shows there is an issue, pressure test shows where the problem(s) are.

18. Timmoe

Timmoe Member

That’s good to know. What is the tool called used for this? Do they have them at advanced auto? And how do I know exactly where the problem is from using this?

19. Timmoe

Timmoe Member

Is it a good video on YouTube using the tester showing how to read symptoms?

20. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

I have had a lot of people take for granted they got sent the right parts. That's why I am saying to check certain clearances of parts.

K51000 likes this.