1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YSR Jetting recommendations

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by sunshine, Nov 13, 2002.

1. sunshine

sunshine Well-Known Member

I figured I'd post this here since there are a few of ya with a some of experience jetting the YSR. What I have(or should I say my friend has) is a stock YSR with a DG pipe on it. I'm trying to figure out the "correct" ballpark jetting for this pipe. The guy he bought it from never rejetted it and I'm trying to keep my friend from seizing the piston. Any tips/tricks out there for them? It also has the stock air box by the way.... Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks,
    Sunshine

2. YSR64

YSR64 Well-Known Member

A 98 main jet should work fine.

3. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

the stock jet will not be to lean.

4. sunshine

I haven't looked to see what is in it now...So I'll assume that it comes with a 98 then. So if the stock carb does not require jetting with the DG pipe, I assume that the pipe does not flow any more than the stocker....

Sunshine

5. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

stock jets are so rich you would have to put a blower on it to make it go lean.

6. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

things you have to watch on those little things is the crank seals they can cause it to seize.

7. YSR64

YSR64 Well-Known Member

The stock main jet size is a 120. I've seen people run as small as a 85. Stick with the stock main if your afraid of siezing it, but if you want more power use a smaller size main

8. sunshine

Wow!! I wouldn't have figured they would come that rich...Yea, it's probably due for some crank seals. He bought it from the original owner and I know he never replaced them. I guess I'll need pressurize the crankcase and check them to make sure then. Are there any flywheel pullers out there that can be used other than the OEM stuff? I don't recall any inthe Parts Unlimited or Tucker Rocky catalogs...BTW, thanks for the info...

Sunshine

9. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

puller cost about $15 I forget the thread pich on it if you are racing it you can put 200 cc less oil in and change it every race. Tucker rocky does have the pullers it works on most of the small 2 stroke yam and a bunch of other bikes.

10. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

other thing I have seen is over tighting the socket head screws holding the carb on so you have an air leak at the gasket. Once that is done you need to reface the carb flange or silicone it enough to fill up the warp.

11. sunshine

I'll have to look at the catalog closer tomorrow then. Many thanks for the help....I'll check that flange for leaks this weekend. You do mean the reed cage flange right?

So are there any other things I should tell him to look for on this 50cc beast? I can see it already. I'm gonna own one of these. They look like too much fun!!!

Sunshine

12. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

no the back of the carb itself I have never seen the reed cage warp. stock steel reeds work well and last forever carbon make more power but you have to watch them I am told.

13. sunshine

Yea, I'll be checking this thing this weekend for sure....Many thanks for the info...

Sunshine