1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your first race weekend

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Suburbanrancher, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

So you finished your race school and you're doing your first weekend as a racer? Congratulations - this really is one of the coolest sports on earth. And you can just about guarantee yourself a good time following these simple tips:

1) Club racing's about having fun. Don't take yourself or your performance too seriously, especially over your first race weekend - nobody gets a paid Moto GP ride based on their provisional novice finishes :)

2) To finish first, first you must finish. This means keeping your bike upright and on two wheels, which should be your #1 priority over the first weekend.

3) The paddock is filled with friendly people who also want you to have a good time. Basic courtesy and asking questions about anything you're unsure of will get you plenty of decent advice and guidance.

4) If you've never done so, watch a few race starts from the starting grid. This is important, because it will show you exactly how riders line up on the grid, how the numberboards are used, and how the flags are shown to start both single and multi-wave races.

5) Make sure your bike is mechanically sound. Go over it - check for any leaks, make sure everything that needs to be safety-wired is, and make sure you have a charged transponder on your fork leg before you take to the grid.

6) Check your fuel level. Seems silly, but you'd be amazed how many people go out for a race and forget to do this, only to see the 'low fuel' light come after the warmup lap.

7) Check your grid position after it's posted. This usually takes place after morning practice and the rider's meeting. Bring a piece of paper and a pen, and note what number your race(s) are and your grid position(s). Put a piece of tape on your tank, and write these things on it. And example would be:

......Race 3
    Row 5.....X O X

That way when you look down, you see that in the third race you're gridded to start in the center position of the fifth row.

8) Listen to the announcements - they're filled with important information! Know what first call, second call, and third call mean. When first call comes for your first race, start getting suited up. If it hasn't been done, wipe your faceshield down and make sure it's nice and clear. Come second call, relax - you've got a couple of minutes before you have to go. Third call, take your tire warmers off and roll to hot pit lane, then wait for the marshall to wave you out.

9) Use your warmup lap to take a final look at the track and conditions. As you approach the end of the lap, look at the cones, make sure you're in the correct starting row, and line your bike up where it's supposed to be.

10) The number board will count down. Look at the riders around you, be aware of where they are in relation to you. When the board gets to "2", relax, look forward, and picture your start. The board will go to "1" pretty quickly, turn sideways, and then the green flag will drop. This is your first race - go quick, but don't worry about eeking out that last 10 feet to get ahead of the guy next to you before turning in for T1. Remember - nobody has ever won a race in the first turn, but plenty have lost them.

11) If you have a problem on the starting grid (e.g. your bike stalls), get your hands up in the air and wave wildly. This is to let the people coming up behind you know you have a problem and to avoid hitting you.

12) As you're racing - RELAX. Focus on your lines, be predictable with your movements, and if there's a slightly quicker person in front of you use them as a guide or 'carrot' - watch, follow, and learn!

13) White flag = 1 lap to go. Checkered flag = your race is finished. Cross the line at speed, and gradually slow down. Congrats! You finished your very first race. Give the cornerworkers a wave as you go past their stations - it's a way of acknowledging them and saying 'thank you' for what they do. Always remember, they do a tough job and without them we don't race.

14) After you finish your cool-down lap, go to hot pit lane and go through post-tech. Doesn't matter what position you came in - do it so you're familiar with the process.

15) And finally, bring your bike back to your pit, put her back on the stands with the tire warmers, and relax - ya did it :up:

This list isn't all inclusive, it's just some basic pointers for your reference. But after you finish your first weekend, you'll see just how enjoyable this sport can be.

Good luck new racers :up:

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

helpful thank you

3. motox

motox 164

thanks for posting :)

4. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Start drinking water way before the event and alot during. Your pee should be clear if you are hydrated. Energy drinks, coffee, and alcohol will dehydrate you so be sure to keep up. 150 mph is not a good time to be woozy.

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Mind your finances. Race what and when you can afford. And whatever you plan to race, be prepared to throw it in the dumpster at any time.

6. madboosties

madboosties Well-Known Member

Nice read

7. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Great info. I'm a returning Novice and I was nodding my head while reading it - some very, very solid info in there and it's amazing how it all transfers over - no matter what Org/track you're racing with/at.

:beer:

8. UR35

UR35 David

You All forgot what to tell them to watch for behind you. 725 lol

9. MidnightRun

MidnightRun Well-Known Member

I always try to remember that someone might be trying to pass me at any moment . I have no brake or turn lights and i'm not looking back. I always leave room for one bike on either side. One other thought, don't get "eye lock" on anything....look ahead at where you want to be, understand that shit will be happening all around you, trust in your reflexes to deal with the moment in time, while your brain stays fixed on your destination.

10. chastain11

chastain11 Well-Known Member

OK, here's my questions:

What are the different series?
    i.e.. WERA National Endurance (I get this one), Michelin National Challenge Series, Pirelli Sportsman Series.
    What are the differences for wanting to run each?

TIA

11. MidnightRun

MidnightRun Well-Known Member

The National series events travel the country from coast to coast, sportsman/vintage are regional. Just depends on how much money and support you have. If you wanna be a PRO then chase the nationals,that's where you'll get noticed.

12. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Pirelli Sportsman Series = Sprint Races
    National Challenge Series = National Championship Sprints
    WERA National Endurance = Long Distance Races 4-6 hours races with multiple rider teams.

Regional Sprints are the basis for "club racing".
    National Challenge is your best of the best and for those typically at the top of the game wanting to take it to the next level.
    Endurance usually runs in conjunction with National Challenge. The best riders usually have spent some time in WERA Endurance racing.

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I think people are intimidated by the nationals, seems like the grids are usually lighter.

Don't be!

14. KillaR6

KillaR6 I'm Going to be a DAD!

Note taken!

15. chastain11

chastain11 Well-Known Member

Thanks folks.
    I was kinda thinking that the National Endurance is where its at for some seat time, with fast guys on track. Hmmmmm...

16. BURGIO

BURGIO Well-Known Member

I wish u guys had all this helpful info when I started out.

17. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

Good write up chris,Straight and to the point!

18. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

That's why I started this thread; all the rulebooks and schools in the world won't be able to give you a true feel as to what expect your first race weekend. A little extra guidance is never a bad thing :)

A couple of other basic things to note:

1) Bring some cash with you to the track, and have a place to secure it when you don't need it (locked glovebox comes to mind). There are gate fees (and sometimes camping fees) that you have to pay when you first arrive - plus if you want to rent an electric outlet for the weekend, this costs as well.

For example, your gate fee (which gets you into the track and a wristband that you'll have to wear for the weekend) might be $20 - this is usually paid in cash when you first arrive. Then if you want to rent electric, that may be another $10 - $20 for the weekend. If you go to a track like Summit Point, you'll pay the gate fee and drive into the paddock to find a spot where you'll set up your pit for the weekend. Once you find a spot, locate an available electric box most convenient to your pit and note the number on it. Return to the gate, give the person there this number along with the electric rental fee and they'll give you the key to unlock the box to access power for the weekend.

2) It's always a good idea to put together a written list of basic things you'll need and should bring with you for the weekend, such as:

a. Helmet (has to be undamaged and under five years old), leathers, gloves, boots, and a back protector. Get the best quality protective equipment you can afford! I also recommend a chest protector if you don't have one.

b. Tire warmers, extension cords, tire gauge, bicycle pump (in case you have to add a little air), and front and rear bike stands. Know what the recommended pressures are for the tires you'll be using, and have this written down so you can refer to it. If you're not sure, ask the vendor you bought them from or a vendor in the paddock selling those tires.

c. Fuel jug. I usually fill these at the local gas station before I get to the track, but most tracks have fuelling stations in the paddock you can use as well. Note that fuel almost always costs more to buy at the track.

d. Cooler with water (at least 1-2 gallons for each day), some gatorade, snack food (nothing too heavy - you don't want to be feeling like it's nap time come afternoon), and your main meals (or you can get food from the track's concession stand).

e. Tools. At a minimum, you'll need whatever you require to remove all your bodywork, wheels, brake calipers, and to perform basic adjustments and tightening of controls. Also, have some zip ties, ductape and rags/paper towels with you.

f. Transponder. You can rent this in the morning if you don't have one. Secure the mounting brack for the transponder to your fork leg below the bottom triple clamp. I usually put a piece of ductape over it just to make sure it's secure. If the transponder is flashing 'green' four times, it'll go through an entire weekend without having to be removed.

g. Canopy and a chair. You don't need anything fancy, just something to keep the sun off you and a place to sit and relax.

h. Radio. Not absolutely necessary, but I bring one and tune it to the station the announcements are being broadcast on so I can hear them clearly. There's a lot of noise in the paddock, particularily after racing gets underway.

i. Schedule of the day's events. You can print this out from the WERA site or get a copy from registration in the morning. Tape it somewhere where you can refer to it throughout the day.

j. Accomodations for sleeping. You can hotel/motel it (pricey), or sleep in your trailer / vehicle / tent setup. Plenty of folks camp at the track and sleep in their trailers, and most tracks have bathroom and shower facilities available to use.

This list isn't all-inclusive, but it'll give you an idea as to what you should put together for a first race weekend. It may seem like a long list, but once you compile these things you'll find it's very easy to keep track of them and remember what you need.

Also know that folks in the paddock will often be helpful with lending you tools and whatnot if you forgot to bring them. Always, ALWAYS return what you borrow :up:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  19. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Endurance is the BEST bang for the buck for seat time. $300 entry fee + tires & gas split between two to four guys, and you get to ride/learn from some of the best riders in the country. You can't beat it. :up:

20. randomwalker

randomwalker Well-Known Member

Very helpful thread so thanks to the OP and everyone else.

This will be my first year at racing and I plan to be on a liter bike. I think I am eligible for:

A Superstock Novice
    A Superbike Novice
    Formula 1 Novice
    Heavyweight Senior Superbike Novice (over 40)
    Heavyweight Solo Novice

According to the rule book, you need to complete two race weekends (one if you've taken the Ed Bargy school) as a provisional novice before being bumped up to Novice.

My question is, what exactly is a race weekend? For example, do I need to compete in one event on Saturday and one event on Sunday, or can it be a different combination?