1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yoshimura TRC Exhaust / 07 GSXR / Bodywork fitting

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Slinky001, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Slinky001

Slinky001 Well-Known Member

I picked up a 2007 GSXR 750 in the fall and put a full stainless yoshimura TRC exhaust on it.

Yesterday I received a set of Armourbodies bodywork that was slightly used from another board member and once it was on, I realized that I had a problem.

The TRC full system uses a "mid can" if you will between the header and the pipe that picks up and travels to the exhaust canister.

Problem is that the belly pan is tight up against this "mid can" and I am sure that it will burn through the belly pan / paint if I leave it there.

Anybody else have this problem?

If so, how did you remedy the situation?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brian

2. tjkershner

tjkershner Well-Known Member

I have the same problem and same setup. I was thinking of cutting out some of the bottom to expose the can. don't know what else to do. I'll look forward to hearing some others post.

3. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

What about using some of the foam-backed heat shield material the OEM use for this very purpose? Suzuki does sell this part separately, although you may be able to tear it off any damaged belly pan at a salvage yard, worked for me. For an added measure you can also wrap the mid-can with exhaust tape.

4. onepointone

onepointone Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the silencer right before the pipe spirals?

I have seen some people remove that and replace it with a straight piece of pipe. That may help out, but it will be louder.

Also, is there a way to change the mounting point of the bodywork to the bike? I know when I was mounting my hotbodies to my 2006 GSXR600, I could move the nose of the bike up/down a good 2-3 inches before securing it to the fairing stay. That may be an idea as well although I do not know how well that would actually work.

Goodluck.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  5. Slinky001

I did change the attitude of the bodywork and did get a little clearance after some fooling around.

I spoke with Woodcraft who is the us rep and they suggested using insulating material on the fairing, but with that set up there is not a whole lot that can be done.

I also plan on calling Yoshimura to see if they have a pipe to replace that can as one point one referenced. It is a track only bike with an insert in the can that can be put in and removed when needed, so noise isn't so big of an issue.

I should all work out, just need to do a little more tinkering!

Thanks for the help!

Brian

6. k6sinfiddy

k6sinfiddy Well-Known Member

Yeah just remove the cat and put a str8 pipe in there, you`ll be fine since you have the insert. Also you should still put some insulate in belly pan anyways, due to the way yosh makes that exhaust it fits very close to belly pan. Better safe than sorry ya know.

7. tjkershner

tjkershner Well-Known Member

Is it legal to cut out a spot in the lower? My bodywork won't bolt up with the new system on. If i cut out a hole to clear the cannister, maybe a 6x6 hole, it would fit right up, but not sure if I can do that...might not pass tech...? Anyone know if this is ok?

8. Slinky001

It is legal for a trackday, but I seriously doubt that a racing organization would accept it.

Contact Mongo or someone who would know where you can find the rule book for WERA if you are planning on going racing.

Brian