1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yard sweeper advice

Discussion in 'General' started by RonR, Nov 14, 2021.

1. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Been thinking about getting something to drag behind the side by side for picking up grass clippings when I’ve let the yard get out of hand and also leaves in the fall that won’t get screwed up by smaller twigs. Hoping someone has had luck with a non engine equipped unit but also considering engine/ vacuum type. Any personal experience with unit that actually worked would be great.
    Thanks

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

I have a 42” Agri-fab that I got to pick up after the dethatcher

it does an ok job for that

wouldn’t trust it to pick up “clibbens”, it should be great for leaves, but will fill up rather quickly. The emptying mechanism works good

I ended up building a subframe behind the engine of my zero turn and flanged a 5.5hp blower fan of a yard vacuum on there. Fabbed a chute off the deck and a flange for the vacuum, got 8” spiral hose and am now sucking it up straight from the deck into my trailer.
    There are ready made solutions like this but they start at 1.5k

3. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I just picked up a DR lawn vac tow behind yesterday. Found it on Fb marketplace for $1000, which was about half of new retail. Tried it today and it works well. I need to get a new deck adaptor to get it working with the mower. I was just using the handheld tube today.

Phl218 likes this.
  4. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I am very happy with the Agri-Fab 44" pull-behind lawn sweeper I bought 3-4 years ago. Was a few bucks cheaper at Northern Tool than it was a Farm & Fleet, then. Looks like Northern no longer sells that model.
    It takes a while to figure out what the best height adjustments are best for different turf and surfaces. Too low in longer grass, with heavy leaves will plug up sweeper, and wheels will lock and slide. Adjust the sweeper height higher on the one side, and you're good. Can be dumped without leaving seat of tractor.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Put your kids to work.

6. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Kids got their own leaves and shit. Honestly when they did live at home I still did all the yard work unless it was a big project I’d drag my son in.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I used to accuse dad of having kids so he wouldn't have to do yard work.

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’ve used a Cyclone Rake Z-10, commercially, and can’t recommend their stuff enough. It never clogged and can’t tipover, unless the whole rig is flipping. Super-easy to breakdown for storage, as well. When I gave up the industry, I sold it to a customer who is still using it.

The type of mower blade one is using makes a difference in how well a vacuum works. If the deck has no suction, because of blade choice, the vac can’t make up for that.

Phl218 likes this.