1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha YZF600R Q

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by RRP, Jan 7, 2010.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

What is the difference between the FZR 600 and the YZF600R??

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Everything. Frame, wheels, motor. YZF has the better motor. FZR is lighter.

3. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

On the other hand, both have motors that bolt quite easily into FZR400 frames! :p

4. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

And they all have a transmission based on the 400's so it WILL fail eventually.

5. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

That YZF in street trim was a toad, probably a pretty good street bike...OK, a comfy toad...I had a bad experience with a YZF, I get a nervous twitch when I think of those things...

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Gotcha!

Where does it fit in Vintage, does it fit?

And while we are on the subject of Yamaha's in Vintage....can I get some input from the FZR people?

The reason for all the questions, I am seriously thinking about getting rid of the 750 and getting a V6 or V7 bike.

Yes...I know about Chuck's Kaw and its in the running.

thanks all for the input.

M

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  7. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Here is a pic of my 95 YZF600.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With a little work it handles pretty good and has decent power. Mainly a trackday toy, but I plan to do a few NC V& raves this year.

Here is a before shot.
    [​IMG]

8. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

is the '95 YZF the same as the 2005 model...did they change in that time frame?

thanks
    M

9. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

95 and 96 are similar with the only real changes being better shock and forks in 96.
    97 and 98 upgraded from earlier model mostly with ram air, bigger carbs, better ignition, improved brakes, different bodywork, front wheel and forks. many components interchange between 95-96 and 97+
    99-07 same as 97-98 with cheaper shock.

10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Thanks for the info:up:

11. stickboy274

I've got a 95 hanging around here.

12. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

yeah, about that...

13. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I dont thing the 97+ models are Vintage legal unless they were recently indexed in.

14. stickboy274

I don't know if they are, but I sure wouldn't mess with anybody. It's not that much different. Also, it's a superbike class. You can take all the 97+ stuff and put it on the 95/96 and be legal. The number on the would be the only difference.

15. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

let them in what's it going to hurt? the more bikes & i just might do v7 again.

16. Chumbucket

The FZR 600 frame was steel, the YZF frame aluminum, no?

17. stickboy274

No. The 600 frame looks like the 1000 frame, big and beefy, but it's steel. A lot of it too.

the 400 frame is aluminum though

18. Chumbucket

Right...I think...The FZR600 frame was steel, the YZF frame was aluminum...Oh, hold on, I see it now...If the '95 YZF, aluminum or not, is legal than all following years are legal for V-7 as well if they haven't dramatically changed from the '95 model...Got it...

19. stickboy274

I'm saying, they both have steel frames. The 400/750/1000's had aluminum. I know for a fact, and can walk out to my building and stick a magnet on a FZR and a YZF right now. I have at least one of each here.

The 95/96 are legal for sure.

20. Chumbucket

Ohhhhh, the YZF is steel? Jesus, I'm going to go back to bed and try this again...Got it, OK...