1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha TX650 forks & no front wheel...

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Boltos, May 5, 2004.

1. Boltos

Boltos Well-Known Member

Yamaha TX650 forks and XS650 rotor?
    I need a front wheel and rotor for the "new" 1976 Yamaha TX650 front forks I have. The bike is running in Vintage class. Anyone know what else is compatible with this TX650 front end? XS650 parts are more readily available, will the front wheel off an XS650 work with the TX650 front forks?

By the way I am mounting this on a 1972 BMW R75/5 as an upgrade to a single disc brake over the original drum brakes.

I have cross posted this question to Tech, my apologies if that is unacceptable practice...

Thanks in advance,

[email protected]

2. AK191

AK191 Well-Known Member

I was under impression that most Yamaha forks are interchangable...TX/XS/SR/RD.....Wheels definately are, but the rotors are of different thickness. I have an RD 18inch mag mounted on the SR front end with just some shims (washers) to move the caliper out.

3. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

The TX650 was more or less a name change to the XS650 (XS-1 and XS-2) to include it along with the TX500 and TX750 model designations. But of course there were the usual model changes to such a long running model as the XS, such as increase in fork diameter from 34mm to 35mm and with it brake caliper and rotor changes. The 34mm forks used the solid mount cast iron caliper and a 2 piece rotor (the disc bolted to an aluminum carrier). The 35mm forks had the single piston floating caliper and a solid rotor. Unfortunately you can't swap 34mm fork caliper and rotor with that of the 35mm forks. At least not with a great deal of mods and fabrication since the caliper mounting lugs on the sliders were different and the rotors had a different offset.

A word of caution... make sure the XS650 rotor is drilled and the holes or slots sweep the entire brake pad surface. The rotor is soft... enough so that tiny particles can be torn from it's surface which then get imbeded into the brake pad material. These particles then cut into the rotor's surface, creating huge grooves... it's a viscious cycle. The holes or slots will sweep the pad surface clean and prevent damage from occuring to the rotor .