1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha tx500 - 1974 Cam Chain Tool

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by poobah56, May 7, 2008.

1. poobah56

poobah56 New Member

Can not track down original tool to secure the new master link. I'm unable to determine chain size to buy generic tool. Anyone out there with any input, have a tool I could use or rent? I'm in the metro Detroit area.

Also- anyone know of a good vintage Yamaha savvy mechanic in the Detroit area?

2. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Cam chain "swedge" tools are generic, so any kit you can find will work, and on almost any cam type chain, as long as you get the adaptors with the press tool.
    The aftermarket versions are crappy and will not hold up under repeated use/abuse, but are cheaper to buy and unless you plan on doing lots of cam chain work will suffice.
    The ones sold through the Yam dealer (kent moore, usually) are much stronger and more durable.
    I got fed up with busted motion pro kits and bought one through an overpriced yam dealer.
    It took years to break that one!

3. poobah56

poobah56 New Member

Thanks I guess the dealer would be the best route. It's hard to gauge quality online. I'm trying not invest too much because I hope to never need one again.

Thanks ride safe.

4. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

It is possible to install a cam chain master link without the tools.
    The side plate should just slide in place and the ends of the pins are hollow so you can smush them with a dull small chisel.
    The hard part is configuring a back stop and holding all the bits in place while you give them a good whack.
    If you have a helper and a solid backstop like a steel body working tool it can be done.