1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha to discontinue R1

Discussion in 'General' started by dazo, Feb 21, 2024.

1. dazo

dazo Well-Known Member

2. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I have soooooooo many great memories on my 01 & 08 R1s. I wish I still had them.

3. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Considering they're quoting a statement from Yamaha UK, I'd say pretty reliable?

Regardless, this was pretty much a foregone conclusion......will probably hold on for a few more years as a non-homologation offering ala the R6 and then it's off to the glue factory.

BigBird, Wheel Bearing and MrGooch like this.
  4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Axed for euroland is how it read to me.

5. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

If they axe it in europe there is no way it survived just for US. Shocking. I have had countless R1s. I will just hold on to my 2023 R1 and 2017 R6 forever then. Not interested in getting a neutered bike...

BigBird, ToofPic and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Fixed

Right @Steeltoe? :D

Rugbydad, CBRRRRR999 and 05Yamabomber like this.
  7. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

F$%^&'n Communists EU and Dem's are regulating us into oblivion...

8. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Bet the Italians keep liter-ish bikes as long as legal.

Dragginass likes this.
  9. 418

418 Expert #59

Superbikes are going to become low volume and unless you're flush with money you won't be able to afford them.

Rich mans toys. What a fucking shame.

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Well only leaders should have leader bikes anyway.

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

If people were buying them they'd have no problem bringing them up to regs. It's as simple as that.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

13. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

14. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Man, that's sad. That bike came out in the hey day of when I was riding. Remember the magazine covers touting 150 HP and feather weight specs. Absolutely stunning looking bike back then, still is. Have some pretty good memories on a mint 99' R1 I bought back in 2002. Boy that was a wheelie machine in first gear, never got completely comfortable on the bike though in the twisties. Just didn't give me the confidence that I got from a Honda sport bike. Still loved it.

sharkattack and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  15. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Holding onto my 2020 R1M a bit longer.

bleacht, MachineR1 and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  16. sharkattack

Yep! I got my 2001 R1 in what I call the heyday of sportbikes. Yes, lighter and faster bikes have come out since then, but there was something about the late 90s through the early 2000s that was a special time to be into sportbikes.

Quicktoy, ducnut, CR750 and 3 others like this.
  17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Eventually, WSBK will have to change to be production-based but not road legal. It'll become like AMA MX/SX but for road bikes. Except the bikes will be really expensive. :(

18. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

WSBK...the "B" will stand for Baggers! Then we can get some 'muricans in the championship.

19. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

My first was an ‘03, probably the most fun bike I’ve had. I still have an ‘08 and love it though. I really want a new generation one but they’re expensive now and the other toys already take too much time.

20. sharkattack

I loved my 08, but ended up trading it for my FJR. At first I was like "WTF did I just do?!" However, I do like the FJR's relaxed riding position much more than the R1's, even with Helibars. The FJR can still get up and go more than enough to win a performance award from John Q. Law if you're not careful. I contemplate about selling the FJR and getting an R1, but then I take the big girl for a ride and come back to reality quickly. At this point, she does all I need a bike to do.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    R1Racer99 likes this.