1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha guru needed

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by HFD1Motorsports, Jan 3, 2014.

1. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

I have found something a Steve Baker bike 2 stroke 3 pipes and a side fill tank. Going up in the AM to look at it in person. He says he has a fill can and stand with it he does no know anything about it found in a warehouse be sitting for a while does not run he told me he took the carbs off I told him stop do not touch it anymore :) the picture I have shows the red white Yamaha colors with the blocks of red going down the side.
    So the question is how many side fill tank bikes are out there?
    Factory markings to look for?
    Any help would be very helpful....

2. john westcott

john westcott Well-Known Member

Let's see the photo.

3. HFD1Motorsports

Well I got to go take them first all I have is a post card with Steve Baker riding a bike. And the guy says it looks just like the one he was riding...

4. Bruce Lind

Bruce Lind Well-Known Member

Frame and engine numbers if any?!?!?!

Bruce Lind

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Yamaha didn't have a triple, but didn't one of the last versions of the TZ750 or maybe 500 have 3 down pipes and the 4th one snaking around and exiting high through the side of the tail? I don't know if any of those were customer bikes or all factory.

6. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

All mono shock TZ750's had 3 under and one up and through the frame. Someone that does not know what they are looking at might see it as a triple. Or it could be a Kawi?

As far as a quick fill there we quite a few bikes with them, for anyone that was running the Daytona 200 pretty much had to have a quick fill tank.

As far as things to look for,

1. If it is a 4 cylinder it is either a TZ750 or a TZ500 although in the US I would be surprised if it was a 500. If it is a 750 it will have 409 prefix cylinders and reed valves. If it is a 500 it will be piston port and depending on the year it will have paired cylinders or for a later model individual cylinders.

2. If it is a Mono shock 750 and has a steel swing arm it is late model production E or F model 750

3. If it has an Aluminum swing arm it may be an OW based Factory bike.

If I can be of help I will PM you my info/number

7. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Charles will be on in a sec to edumacate y'all on the Ziegers triple.....

8. HFD1Motorsports

On the quick fill did most use a stock tank so it would have the factory flip up cap still on the tank. Factory kit stuff was Alu. right on the swingarm and tank
    I just need to see it up close my friend does not know that much he said it had three pipes on one side. If it was a factory bike it would only have a few numbers on the neck right if any. If you wish I can call you when I see it or text you a picture.

9. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

If it's a 750 the serial number will start with a 409-

A warehouse find Big TZ?! Holy crap! Post a pic and we'll know pretty quick just what it is.

10. Yamaha Fan

Tanks had both the flip cap and the quick fill. There may have been some that were quick fill only, I believe production bike tanks were flip cap only.

I have pictures of two of Bakers bikes, the OW31 and the YZR750 both were works bikes. I was wrong in the earlier post. The 77 TZ750D was the first production monoshock, it has a Steel (crmo) rear arm. It was the production version of the OW31. The YZR750 has an Aluminum swingarm and other special parts that may have included 7 transfer port cylinders.

He may have had other production based 750's there are specific things that will identify what it is.

The PM system has changed I did not realize messages were public so I pulled my phone number. If you took my number down you are welcome to call me I have the Yamaha Factory TZ history by Colin MacKeller handy.

Drop me a message if you need my number.

Bob

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  11. Yamaha Fan

I looked at the bike in Vegas, it does not look like an OW31 unless it had the swingarm retrofitted. It looks like the YZR750, if it is then you may be looking at the OW31 or something else.

Missed your number in the general thread tried to call but it was after hours.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  12. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

Baker bike

I have the remains of a Steve baker ow29. Many parts are missing. You may have found some of them. Call me 908 995 7827

13. HFD1Motorsports

well guys I am on my way to the corner of no where and west bumble screw...If it is a tz750 then On a prayer it is going in the back of my truck

14. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

15. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Well!?!?!?

16. charles

charles The Transporter

There wera, and are, Yam-based triples, both air-cooled and water-cooled…The 1977 350 World Champ was Katayama on his un-official Yam triple, which is now owned by Ferry Brower….and Karel Zegers built his own Yam triple in 1978-1979, which was then reproduced by Spondon (12 or 13 bikes total).

17. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Zegers 500.

Attached Files:

18. charles

charles The Transporter

Yep, that's what I had, only w/ wire wheels.

19. Yamaha Fan

Well whats the verdict ?

20. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

yea what happened?