1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha Generator and Trailer AC

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Lawdog78, May 16, 2020.

1. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Recently I picked up an EU3000iseb for my toyhauler. Previously I had 2 Briggs generators paralleled together which made 4,000 watts and it would run my AC no problem. I can't seem to get the compressor to start with the new Yamaha!? I thought the "boost" models kicked in some extra wattage just for that purpose? I got it to work a few times and it would run 5 to 10 minutes and then the compressor would shut off but no breakers tripped or anything.

My question is am I missing something obvious? I tried running the AC with and without the converter switched on the the trailer. I have a Coleman Mach 8 13,500 btu air conditioner. The only thing I just thought of is I was using an extension cord but it was a 30amp RV cord, not a little household one if that matters.

Other option is can I run another Yamaha inverter generator in parallel with this one like the little 1,000 watt model or does it have to be another 3000? I feel like just a little bit more juice would do it, hence the 1,000 idea. My whole purpose of selling my last generators though was I was tired of dealing with 2 and wanted a single unit. Should I Just kick myself now for not buying the 4,500 instead?? TIA

2. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

3. Lawdog78

I remember discussing those with someone on here a while back but forgot the details. What's the difference in a stop start and a hard start capacitor?? I"ve seen the hard start kits for like $25. Kinda curious what everyone else is doing as I've seen a lot of these generators and the Honda eu3000's (had one years ago and through it's less wattage, it ran my a/c at the time). Do that many people have to do the upgrade capacitor kit or do some ac units just require less power to start? Thanks for the reply

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

You starting the generator then plugging in the trailer? My 2 2000’s work their ass off paralleled together for my 35000BTU ..I have to get them going first prior to plugging in then turn on AC... But they do their job all weekend...

5. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

The expensive ones go right in the rooftop unit, and puts a delay start on the compressor as well as providing the capacitance, so it's not spinning up both at the same time. Not sure if it's an unnecessary complication or not.

Lawdog78 likes this.
  6. Lawdog78

I had the generator already running and trailer plugged in with AC off. Turned off the smart idle so it was running full steam and then tried to turn on the AC.

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

What size is your AC unit?

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The MicroAir Soft Start is not a capacitor, it's an inverter that uses a custom start routine to ease the compressor into action.

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I don’t think you have enough generator. The 4K watt generator in my past motorhome pulled down really hard, starting the 13.5K A/C. It was a new unit, so I doubt there were any shortcomings in the coach.

TLR67 likes this.
  10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I have to agree.....

ducnut likes this.
  11. Lawdog78

AC is a 13,500 btu I"m pretty sure. I will try to look at the specs on it tomorrow. I"m not trying to run anything else at the same time but being able to run the air is a must. Would one of these soft start kits solve my problem or would I be better off to just get a bigger genny? I hate it if this one isn't enough. Should have kept my old Honda 6500 and mounted a portable crane in the truck bed. Would have come out way cheaper

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Just a FYI with my 2 2000’s pig tailed together I can run my AC and 2 sets of warmers and a fan outside... As soon as I plug in a phone charger blammo....breaker trips... I hear you about the crane... that is the Only reason I got 2 small ones to tie.

Lawdog78 likes this.
  13. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Confused about this statement, are you saying it started and than ran continuously for 5 to 10 minutes and then kicked out which wouldn't be a startup amperage problem. Or are you saying you were trying multiple startups in that 5 to 10 minute period and it would then fail? If multiple startups you need to let the AC set for 3-5 minutes off to let pressures equalize as that would be a very hard start with line pressures already peaked out.

14. Lawdog78

The compressor started and the AC ran perfectly for about 5 to 10 minutes and then the compressor went off but the fan continued to run. I checked all the breakers and nothing was tripped. I did not try letting it set for 3 to 5 minutes as you said but even trying it again 20+ minutes later got the same results. It would start (sometimes on the 2nd or 3rd try) but compressor would kick off eventually

15. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

That's totally weird, according to specs I found your coleman should draw a touch under 2000 watts once it's running (startup obviously much higher) so your Eu3000 should carry it once running. Here are the specs I found: https://www.airxcel.com/DesktopModules/RVProduct/Pdf/472x387x_data_sheet_1012.pdf

Since you started testing it have you run the A/C on utility power to make sure it is behaving normally then?

Lawdog78 likes this.
  16. Lawdog78

Thanks DaveB for posting that. Actually I feel pretty stupid. Went out today to run it off utility power to do just as you say and it ran fine. I noticed that the thermostat was set kinda in the middle rather than all the way cold because last time I used it it was 70 degrees not 87 like yesterday. SO, I think it's possible it was working and then hit the set temp and compressor shut off. After turning it off and back on I did not wait the 3 to 5 minutes as you mentioned before for it to kick back on. I"m going to retest it the same way soon as I can, this time with the thermostat turned all the way down. Pretty sure that was the problem though. Doh!

TLR67 likes this.
  17. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Ah, that could do it. We've all been there, done that at times. Hopefully this fixes the running issue but was mentioned previously I'd look at one of the soft start kits from microair, I've looked at them and plan on adding one myself. I have a pair of Honda 2000's and have to turn ECO mode off to reliably start my unit without the Honda's going crazy. I think it is worth the money.

Lawdog78 likes this.
  18. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

The Harbor Freight 3500 runs my Dometic 13.5 just fine. Runs on eco mode.

19. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

DaveB hit's another valid point, are you trying to run your 3000 in Eco mode and have the AC start/run?

I had a Honda 3000 with my first toy hauler, and I think I experienced something similar to what you're describing when I had the Eco button toggled by mistake.

VERY worst case, you could consider selling your 3000 by posting it here, that should last about 30 seconds before someone snaps it up and the price
    will be damned near what it was new. Then go get yourself a 4000 or maybe slightly bigger. I have a Yamaha 4500 for my Toy hauler.

Lawdog78 and TLR67 like this.
  20. Lawdog78

Good question but no I definitely had eco mode turned off. I still think problem was related to where the thermostat was set. Going to try to test it again this weekend and I will post back with the results. I agree, worst case I'm sure I could sell it pretty easily and get the 4500