Yamabond alternative

Discussion in 'General' started by iagsxr, Mar 30, 2016.

  1. iagsxr

    iagsxr Well-Known Member

    Need to switch valve covers between two R1 motors. Rubber valve cover gasket that originally had the white/grey Yamabond on it.

    Have Loctite 515 anaerobic gasket maker. Can I successfully use that in the place of Yamabond? Or what can I go buy at an auto parts store that will work?

    If the beeb tells me I have to I will go to the dealership tomorrow and get my head torn off for a tube of Yamabond.
  2. Banditracer

    Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

    3 Bond 1184
  3. SPL170db

    SPL170db Trackday winner

  4. plater1

    plater1 former porn star

    I've had good luck with black RTV. Any auto parts store should have it.
  5. triplestrong

    triplestrong Well-Known Member

    Or three bond 1211. Works nice, cleans up nice as well. Don't use the 515 or 518 on the valve cover gasket, you'll hate yourself later.
  6. throwdown

    throwdown Well-Known Member

    No you need something/anything non-anaerobic for that since it has an actual rubber gasket. Any auto parts store sells European style gasket sealer it's typically grey like the Yamabond, that will do nicely. Anaerobic sealer is for machined surfaces with no gasket, where this is no air so it can cure.
  7. RM Racing

    RM Racing Tool user

    Three Bond 1211. Harder to find, but mega good stuff.
  8. oilslinger

    oilslinger Well-Known Member

    FIPG, I get tubes of it from work
  9. throwdown

    throwdown Well-Known Member

    FIPG is good stuff but it's anaerobic,not saying it won't work but it's not what he should use.
  10. iagsxr

    iagsxr Well-Known Member

    Got a Permatex product at the local parts store. I'm at home don't remember the number.

    No one local carries 3 Bond. I gave the parts store a 3 Bond number. They compared them online and came up with what they gave me.

    I haven't used it yet.

    Thanks for the info.
  11. TWF2

    TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

  12. oilslinger

    oilslinger Well-Known Member

    I don't know what that means but I know I've used it for case gaskets, cylinder and head gaskets on 4 stroke motocross bikes before and it worked like a charm.

    That's the stuff I use. I work at a Toyota dealership and have a few tubes of it.
  13. throwdown

    throwdown Well-Known Member

    Anaerobic just means it needs a lack of oxygen to cure completely, it's specifically made for things that have no gasket whatsoever, like the timing chain cover on a 3.5 Toyota engine.
    But it'll still cure enough for what this guy made this post for, since his cam cover uses a rubber gasket to to seal the cover. Most of the time they put a little bit it under the rubber gasket, but it's for where the timing cover meets the head (where there is no gasket or seal)
  14. TWF2

    TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

    Toyota seal works great for anything on engine. I use it for cases and valve covers. It does not cure to be like plastic hard but rather like rubber, flexible.
    When using on cases you just need very light coat, just enough to cover aluminum. On valve cover little heavier coat since clamping is not as good as cases. I only put it on rubber gasket where cam notches are (half circle).

Share This Page