1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xr100 fork question

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by backcountryme, Aug 29, 2012.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Ok, so I bought a 98 xr100 for $400 and it came with a 82 XR as a parts bike. The 82 is almost complete (only missing a couple of small engine bits) so I think I got a pretty good deal. My question is how would swapping out the 98 leading axle fork for the 82 non leading axle affect the handling for road racing? The class I run in has to run the 19 inch front so turning is pretty lazy. Would reducing the trail by running the older fork in the newer triple help with turning? Just kicking around some ideas.

2. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

I've read of flat tracker types flipping the forks to a "trailing" axle setup to quicken steering. I haven't tried it but it would definitely quicken steering...

3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Assuming that both triple clamps have the same offset, moving the wheel back in relation to the steering axis ground contact point actually increases trail.

4. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

It would shorten the wheel base though, wouldn't it?

5. backcountryme

You're right. It would increase trail. So I guess it wouldn't help. That should make the front feel even heavier shouldn't it?

6. backcountryme

Oh, the old triples have a ton more offset to them, so if I ran the leading axle fork with the old triple that should lessen the trail right? I might play around with it this winter.