1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xr100 chain adjustment

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by vdub 2.0, Jan 27, 2013.

1. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

I can never seem to get the chain tensioners to be at the same mark, The one on the left always seems to be lose. Making the chain either too tight or too lose. Do any of you guys have any tricks to getting it set up right

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Don't trust the marks. They'll get you in the right ballpark, but they're no precise enough to really align the wheel.

On my 600 I would count the number of turns on the axle adjuster to be sure they were even if I was in a hurry.

The string technique is really the best way to align the wheel though. The more string the better...

3. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I would also safety wire the adjuster screw. They always seem to come
    Loose.

Assuming your axle is drilled anyway, I just make the adjuster my anchor point. Wrap the screw, don't actually drill the tiny nut.

4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I start with the alignment marks and then just eyeball down the top run of the chain to make sure the sprockets are in the same plane. Probably not that accurate but we are only going 45mph.

5. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

Measure the exposed threads on the adjusters, assuring they are equal in length.
    Double nut the adjusters. Once the axle is in place, tighten the rearmost adjuster nuts against the front to assure they won't loosen.

6. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I always measure from the center of the axle to the swing arm pivot. And double nut the adjusters.