1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox One

Discussion in 'General' started by Lawn Dart, May 21, 2013.

1. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

Except the the pictures and other what not that I've seen on the back of the device doesn't have a slot for a CableCard. It's been reported that it is using HDMI IN from your Cable/TV/Satellite service. I'm not sure how much extra overhead of data is available on the HDMI signal to provide the necessary information to the Xbox One so that it'll know which channel is there to be able to overlay real time data onto the thing. Without a Cable Card (which would negate the claim for Satellite provider) it'll need to be some sort of IR control to the device and you'll have to tell the Xbox One who's box you have in order to control your receiver.

Now if they are talking about some sort of TV Everywhere streaming service where you can switch to a live TVE stream for ESPN, TNT etc. etc then that's a different story, but if you already have Cable or Satellite service sitting in your living room why are you going to want to suck up internet bandwidth for streaming a show that you can watch via some other means?

While this was a pretty "ooooh" and "ahhhh" reveal of the new Xbox it'll be interesting to see some of the more technical specs of how the thing is going to work for what they were making "oooh" and "ahh" over.

-steve

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Where are these pictures?

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The FCC however does NOT mandate that all interactive services or even channels be available via CableCard, just that the option be there.

4. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Just like the PS3...

5. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Another strike against Xbox One for me is the strong rumor that used games will not be playable. Especially since I buy a handful a year, and rent the rest. Its not worth the price, let alone the kick in the nuts for banning used games. Although, it would be fun watching my wife scream at the TV when the voice recognition system cant understand her accent.

6. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

You mean like how the PS3 crushed the 360 this generation?

Or should we talk about reality and what really happened. Like how the PS3 in still in last place this generation, outsold by both the Wii & 360. From a ten year lead with the PS1 & PS2 to last place. Sony literally went from first to last.

7. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

As far as the "Where are the games?" question. Today's announcement was never about new games. It was about the new Xbox. The architecture is pretty similar this generation (x86 instructions, AMD CPU & GPU, 8GB ram in both systems, etc).. so the games will look very much alike on both systems. Furthermore, it will be much easier for devs PC/PS/XBOX games to finally coded all games together (instead of making a game for one system, then porting it to another). Games already looked alike LAST generation.. even with the much overhyped ability of "teh Cell" processor. Next gen games will look even more alike, which rationalizes why MS wanted to show its non-game features during this May 21st announcement. They know that the extra multimedia features & Kinect abilities are what will differ their console in the eyes of consumers. So they played this announcement to their strengths & unique capabilities of the Xbox system.

You wanna see game related stuff for the newly announced Xbox One? Then come back in 19 days when E3 starts. Its the largest gaming convention of the year and it will be where the games are announced/shown/demo'ed for all 3 systems. Expect pricing & launch dates for the both the PS4 & XB1 to be announced at E3 2013.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

RE PS4 vs Xbox One - They're both basically the same save for two details, MS went for DDR3 vs GDDR5, and the speculation is they'll clock their AMD CPU/GPU slightly lower than Sony.

Everyone right now is harping on GDDR5's higher bandwidth meaning the PS4 will have the edge, I'm going to say no way. DDR3 has significantly lower latency, and looking at the various PC gaming benchmarks as of late, latency has had a far bigger impact on perf than raw bandwidth. The RAM is doing more than just graphics work where streaming and raw bandwith rule. Choke the CPU with high latency and you slow the whole system down.

9. motox

motox 164

Quick run-down of the Xbox One (stolen from another forum)

*Name is Xbox One. Goes on sale sometime this year.
    *Comes with Kinect 2.0 and they claim it has only 2 frame latency (about 67ms)
    *Tons of voice command shit and hand gestures.
    *More games will be shown at e3.
    *They focused largely on non-game stuff (Twitter, watching TV, Smartglass)
    *All games are installed to your HDD and tied to your account. This is to stop the used game market.
    *If you want to play online with friends you have to pay $$$ for that.
    *All your stuff is stored in the cloud. Deal with it.
    *Showed very little game footage, almost all of which was pre-rendered stuff.
    *The handheld controller looks nice but still uses non-rechargable batteries.
    *Better rumble built into the controller (someone said HD Rumble)
    *No backwards compatiblity
    *8 gigs of RAM, 3 operating systems, USB 3.0
    *They had ADVERTISEMENTS during their presentation of the new dashboard.
    *Comes with a built in DVR so you can record and edit your gameplay.
    *Has Skype

10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I fail to be impressed. Seems my Xbox 360 will be my last console unless I have kids someday and buy one for them. I have been less and less impressed with gaming lately. No major breakthrough lately, just more of the same. Untill they make the jump to Star Trek type holodecks, I think I'll just pass.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  11. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

Yeah, there's stupid and then there's STUPID, this is FREAKING STUPID!

:FL:

12. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

HALO Tv/Game integration has a ton of potential.

13. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

Hmm, let me look

There is a vine of it here Xbox One .. and god I hate vine. what a stupid name.

Unless what was at the reveal was prototype versions w/out all the real goodies in them. Maybe that's why they didn't mention how any of the magic works since they still are figuring that out.

-steve

14. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

[​IMG]

The one labeled IR out is probably the magic to control your Cable/Satellite box. Again, nothing that looks like cable card access unless there is a base model, cable box model, magic model. Like the whole windows home, windows pro, windows office. One would think they learned their lesson by now.

-steve

15. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

I haven't seen all the pics, but is there a possibility the front panel actually is hinged and might have it behind there?

16. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

I can't believe they would go for the beautiful aesthetic of running your coax in through the front of the device.

-steve

17. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Microsoft does some dumb shit every now and then (ahem windows 8), but even I don't think they are dumb enough to do that.

18. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

I'm not talking about running the coax in, I had thought about a removable card for the cable, but completely forgot about the coax cable. Now I see what you're saying.

19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Er, no cablecard setup I've seen has the coax going to the cablecard... The coax goes to the tuner card which has a slot for a cablecard (PCMCIA form factor).

On the no backwards compatibility front, total ISA change without a giant leap in horsepower means there isn't enough grunt to emulate at a reasonable pace so no backwards compatibility for you!

20. ToKwik

ToKwik Well-Known Member

So what you guys are saying is that unless something something super secret is revealed at E3, I'm building a computer to play BF4?

Had some high hopes for these next gen consoles.