1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-Box or PlayStation?

Discussion in 'General' started by SpongeBob WeaselPants, Nov 20, 2002.

1. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

I'm Christmas shopping for the kid: X-Box or Play Station? Which one do you recommend & why?
    Do I need to mention we're on an extremely tight budget?

2. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

Get the Xbox so you can play MotoGP! Then add on Xbox Live! to play online...

You happy, kid happy.

3. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

Dat's what I'm sayin. we did that all last weekend and it rocked. No lagging and it was really fun.:)

4. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

Depends on what type of game your kid likes.

Consoles (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube) etc are all about the games (at ~$50 a pop). Both PS2 and Xbox costs $200 for the machine, but they do not always share the same game titles.

p.s. New copies of Moto GP 2 for either system are all but impossible to find now, as they have gone out of production. Moto GP 3 is supposed to be release at the end of Feb 03.

Oh yeah, if it is just for the kid (and it never is) then consider a gamecube, it is cheaper and intended for a much younger audience.

5. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

Oh yeah, I prefer PS2, because they have exclusive rights to many of the games I like and also a more open developing license (meaning there will always be more PS2 games available than any other system, though they may not all be good).

6. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i bought a PS2. it cxan also be online with the internet adaptor that can be used on a 56k line or DSL. the xbox only goes DSL. also the internet has to be paid for on the XBOX if ya wanna use it. the PS2 internet is free (from what i understand). and the PS2 also has moto gp2 (not online but GP3 should be). like guo i too like the games available for the PS2. ck ebay for any deals. kent.

7. funksouljon

funksouljon Well-Known Member

I had the same quandry recently as well.
    Xbox. May not have as many games, but is newer, so the games will be a natural step. Besides, there are planty of games to play presently.
    Xbox can play any DVD, there are some limitations on PS2.
    Xbox has builtin memory and lots of it, PS2 costs $20? per memory card.
    Built in memory makes for smoother play, check out Halo on Xbox and then the top PS2 game. Much smoother and better graphics on Xbox.
    Only DSL connection!? 56K, pashaw, isn't this 2002? :)

8. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I just bought PS2

It's all about the software, and PS2 has more. What do his/her friends have so they can trade and play known games against each other?

The X box may be slightly better technologically in certain aspects, but I'll put LOTH:Twin Towers up against Halon any day for quality and smoothness of graphics. FWIW, I play though a very nice HDTV- DD/DTS home theater system so visual and audio quality is very important to me.

9. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

XBox! You'll like it more, so you'll spend more time do something with the kid.

10. gsxrrider

gsxrrider Member

Xbox, better graphics and faster processor and online gaming. Games are fewer with the Xbox but they are getting more and more everyday. Also the X Box can save to the internal hard drive, and foor load to memory cards if needed. Gamecube is more for younger kids, my son is almost 9 and the games are more his age and older.

"p.s. New copies of Moto GP 2 for either system are all but impossible to find now, as they have gone out of production. Moto GP 3 is supposed to be release at the end of Feb 03."

I been in every EB store and Blockbuster and have found numerous copies of MotoGP2. Actually Blockbuster has it on sale for $24.99. I've played and it very good, nothing like the real thing, but it's one of the better ones so far.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2002
  11. CBRman93

CBRman93 Well-Known Member

PS2!!

1. Reverse compatability
    2. Don't need special extras to play a DVD
    3. More games
    4. Games easily copied (for back ups of course, MotoGP 1 and 2 done nicely)
    5. Final Fantasy Series 7-10, 11 coming soon
    6. Metal Gear Solid 2
    7. The controller
    8. Gran Tourismo 3
    9. It looks neat
    10. Red Faction 2

I guess if your looking at saving a buck or two the PS2 might not be the right choice but it dose have advantages with being reverse compatible. You can pick up older PS1 titles for less than 4 bucks. And some of the older titles still rock and there are plenty for children.
    The lame cube...I mean Gamecube is the cheapest of the big 3 and it offers a lot of good childrens games.
    The X-box is Microsoft so you know it will be around for awhile and it has some good titles. Halo, Halo 2 coming soon, and the online stuff. The PS2 has online stuff too and it's only a 40 smack add on.
    Good luck but really though....
    Ask the kids. They know what they want.

12. A1 or Ketchup? If you ave any other questions, please read "CCS or WERA" thread.

Save your money and wait on PS3. Buy them a Rubix Cube for now. Screw what these kids play. All they want to do is kill crap.

13. SonicDuck

SonicDuck Flying Feather Duster

Well do you get a PS3 or a Xbox2?:D Supposely Microsoft already has Xbox2 done, they are just waiting to drop it the same Christmas season that PS3 comes out...So waiting just gets you the same question about better gear ;)...

fwiw, I love my Xbox. The only reasons that really hold water to me for having a PS2 is cost and games....Well if I'm dropping the kind of cash people do for gaming systems, the cost of the Xbox doesn't bother me. The game selection goes a little like this, how many games do you actually play??? I had a ColecoVision as a kid and had over 50 games of which only about 5 got played on a regular basis. Quality also figured in as well...how many GOOD games are really out there, period? Not many. I play MotoGP, Madden 2002, Halo, and somtimes Project Gotham which take up more time than I have for gaming anyways. If I find myself in need of more gaming entertainment, there are a couple more titles I can think of to pick up to fill the time. :)

related motorcycle analogy: Is it better to own a NSR and RCV or 20 RE5 Suzukis? :D

14. AJ_371

AJ_371 Tom Thumb!!

me and peterhaulintail play under "kickstankie" all caps on motogp every night almost, game is sick how you can build your bike and unlock tracks........catch us on there, we saw ARMYOFDARKNESS in a lobby for a minute the other night.

15. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

We should figure a time to meet up and do a WERA BBS race in MotoGP on Xbox Live. Anyone else in?