1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTB R3 or Ninja 400

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by tmac94, Jan 30, 2022.

1. tmac94

tmac94 Active Member

Looking for a well sorted R3 or Ninja 400 in the south east. The closer to Atlanta, the better. Looking to stay under 7k. Ideally, the 5-6k mark depending on build/extras.

Thanks!

2. Looking for a Ninja 400 in the northeast. I am in Boston but am willing to drive to nearby states.

3. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Got a 400 I might sell. It's not a full-on track bike though. It does have some track mods though and looks sch-weet!

4. Hi DmanSlam, I would love to see the bike and hear more about the current mods. Could you message me with the pictures and details?

5. DmanSlam

DM sent.

6. tmac94

tmac94 Active Member

EDIT: Looking for super singles now too. I may end up building one, but would interested in seeing if any are for sale.

7. dont621

dont621 Well-Known Member

sent you a PM

8. Kid a

Kid a Well-Known Member

For what it's worth I've also been looking for a 400.

I was just able to pick up a theft recovery salvage titled 2021 from auction for $1800.

Even if you put $2k into suspension, $1000 into fairings, $500 for rearsets it puts you well under the $7k people are asking for already put together track 400's

Unless you are after the best, most modified 400 you can get your hands on or don't want to do the work yourself, you can easily do it yourself and stay within that $5-$6k goal. Plus youv will have a low milage bike that wasn't flogged at redline for a couple seasons of track use already

Given your hope of low cost in, just thought I'd share my own hunt and result.

Shenanigans likes this.
  9. Lance Molnar

Lance Molnar Aoxomoxoa

May be true, but in my experience you will get a heck of alot more for that extra $1k....steering damper, lightweight fairing stay, full exhaust, mods to improve shifting + quickshifter, perhaps some fueling/tuning mods, upgraded air filter, etc etc etc...

DmanSlam, TurboBlew and Sudowoodo like this.
  10. Kid a

Kid a Well-Known Member

$1000-$1500 buys a lot of tires and track time for those without unlimited budgets. Also, it's a 44hp bike. Making 6 more hp or dropping 10lbs off the bike isn't going to be life changing for an average track day guy.

If this will be your only track bike, or money isn't a decider than agreed. Everyone has own priorities and not one solution best for everyone.

For my own money I'd rather nearly brand new everything, suspension built for you, fresher engine for about the same money. I also enjoy incremental steps so you know what you've got. That's just my opinion and was sharing my hunt and where I landed in my own search for a 400 with the original poster and anyone else looking. You aren't getting much of a discount on used equipment at $7k if starting with a low mileage bike under $2k

11. tmac94

tmac94 Active Member

I’m actually going to pick up a very well built sv with a stock and superbike motor for 3500 tomorrow

Shenanigans likes this.
  12. Lance Molnar

Lance Molnar Aoxomoxoa

Absolutely to each their own..although $1000 is not that much track time/tires & 6 HP would be a 14% bump in power..and I would say for some 7-8k used 400's you're getting a solid 50% on the build cost/price.

I've done it both ways tbh - either way it gets expensive in the long run - there's the obvious advantage of new parts/no unknown issues vs the advantage of used ($ and turn key)

I have found that the smaller the bike...the more you start looking for ways to trim weight and boost power as opposed to the larger bikes...just my experience

13. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

I picked up two 400 theft recoveries. While on paper it looks like a economical build, the items start adding up quick to get them WERA race ready. The small gotchas I found was the hidden cost of suspension setup/dyno map. Other than that was a fun build.

DmanSlam, TurboBlew and Shenanigans like this.
  14. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

15. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

83BSA may have a single (look in vintage here) . Depending on what your looking for I may have 2 MZ/660 Yamaha singles that run ahrma SOS2 and wera clubman but they would only be sold as a pair . If you have race experience and are in need of a ultra competitive single the bike 83BSA has would be a better fit . We are both north GA . Good luck

tmac94 likes this.
  16. tmac94

tmac94 Active Member

I settled on a SV for now. Well sorted bike; too good of a deal. Besides, information, knowledge, and parts are readily available.

hope to be on the racetrack sooner than later.

Buell1965 likes this.
  17. DmanSlam

I see dollar signs attached to this comment. :)

18. Kid a

Kid a Well-Known Member

SV with decent suspension is still maybe the best lower displacement bike out there for so many reasons, as you pointed out. I already miss my 2nd gen 1 year after selling it.

Have fun out there!

tmac94 likes this.
  19. Tripler50

Tripler50 Member

I have one I am selling 2021 with 1200 miles New Armor bodywork chain and sprocket braided brake line. Am bringing to Talledega GPR Feb 19. Build as you like asking 5500 obo

20. DmanSlam

Just sold this 2 days ago...

3-resized.jpg