1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTB Aprilia RS250 Cup Bike

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Chris Mann, Aug 1, 2023.

1. Chris Mann

Chris Mann Well-Known Member

Looking for an Aprilia RS250 cup bike. Anyone have one for sale?

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have a low mile really nice one almost ready. I'm putting the stock exhaust back on it and trying to find the exhaust flanges and gaskets in my collection of spares. I was planning on listing it on Iconic auctions with a reserve of $12K. Located in Montana.

3. Chris Mann

WOW. I did not realize they were going for that much! I was looking to get one to do track days on but need it to be way cheaper.

4. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

The last couple years have been nuts. A buddy paid $4500 for a low km MK1 Cup with some spares a few years ago. If it was used on track, it was only a handful of times and never raced.

The handful of MK1 Cup bikes had 17 digit VINs hiding under the 15 digit plate and the full wiring harness so they're relatively easy to convert to street.

5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

You can find beater track bikes for $9K. They're out there.

6. Chris Mann

I have a 636 but I used to race a RS250 in WERA like 10 years ago and would just like to have another one. Should have never sold the one I had....

motion likes this.
  7. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

Simply one of the very best, least-compromised sports motorcycles money can buy.”
    -MCN

The real problem with the RS250 is that if you want one, a good one, you’re too late.
    -Visor Down

Good ones are still out there. But long gone are the days of good cheap bikes. If it’s cheap it’s got thousands of dollars in deferred maintenance needs. Not sure where you live but if you want cheap then this Mk1 street bike in Wilson, NC is $5900. Given how costly repairs are and how difficult replacement parts are, it’s a gamble. But maybe one you’re willing to take.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1320673041883980/?mibextid=6ojiHh

ToofPic likes this.
  8. expat

expat Active Member

The market for Cup bikes has really dropped recently. I had mine on Iconic and it didn't hit my reserve of $8500. Last year they were all going for over $10K.
    Mine is sale pending for $7500 and needs nothing, has billet valves and heads, JL exhausts, Zeel, Woodcraft bars and rearsets etc etc. IMG_6302 1mb.jpg

BrentA, mattys281-2, HEISMAN and 3 others like this.
  9. freedomgli

That’s a beautiful bike. I’m surprised it’s struggling to sell at $7500. It’s got a lot of the upgrade hardware I want to put on mine. I paid way more than that in June to buy mine. Although truth be told I paid a premium because I wanted this particular RS250 because of its reported history. I just wish it was better documented. Still I have no regrets. Just a little fear that it will be a troublesome money pit.

10. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

Paying a premium doesn't seem like such a big deal at the price point of these bikes. I probably did but I don't care. I've spent more on dumber things.

freedomgli likes this.
  11. freedomgli

I hate to admit it but I’ve done the same. It’s only money. You can’t take it with you when you die so you might as well spend it having fun!

Mike Fennell likes this.
  12. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Just keep doing what you're doing something will pop up.
    My friend brought two of them last year for $7,500 bucks for both w boxes of spares. They're not beauty queens they're race bikes like they were intended to be.
    Reasonable deals, they're out there,

I'd say it's definitely a machine worth holding out for don't be in a rush and something will come along.

It's track bike bud.... all that matters is the motor, frame suspension.

Everything else needs not be considered.
    So don't overpay for a bike thats not suited for its intended use.

HEISMAN likes this.
  13. Chris Mann

Found one. Will be working on it to get it running and take to track days. Does not look like much in the pic but has been sitting for the last 3 years but does have a rebuilt 300 kit in the engine and a frame refresh before it was parked. Dymag Magnesium wheels, Jim Lomas Stainless exhaust with carbon silencers, Penske rear shock, Race Tech springs in front, Brembo 19x20 master. Owner also has new set of AirTech body work and some spares that I still have to get from him. But at least I have the bike in the garage and have started the process of going through it. Price was something I could not pass up on. Super excited! If anyone has parts laying around they want to sell please reach out to me.

Attached Files:

freedomgli, MrGooch, BrentA and 5 others like this.
  14. Paul Kraemer

Paul Kraemer New Member

You're going to love it! I have one that I took out to the track this year, and it's the most fun I've had at the track with a bike. It's unique and looks beautiful, which gets lots of attention (good for making friends). But even better is the immersive event that takes place when you get out on it ... the smell, the sound, the two-stroke power. It's awesome - great choice : )

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Good luck with the project! They are sublime! I still have several left (sold a few recently) and look forward to getting back out on the track with them soon.

16. expat

expat Active Member

I have an OEM fairing (upper and lowers) in perfect condition. They were removed and replaced with fiberglass.
    They might be too nice for a bike being used but great for a collectors example.
    Let me know if you are interested.

17. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

if you later decide to sell that contact me. Always interested in 2T's

I just picked up a 92 RGV250

18. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

19. Chris Mann

Will do. Where are you located at Chuck?

20. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I am in Taylors, SC