1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WSBK Executive Director on weight limits coming in 2024

Discussion in 'General' started by ljuice26, Nov 10, 2022.

1. ljuice26

ljuice26 Well-Known Member

Looks like the weight limits are approved and it goes into effect in 2024. Although, some team wants them now. I bet we all know what manufacturer that is, lol.....

One topic that has been brought up lately is the idea of combined bike and rider weight limits in WorldSBK. It is a rule used in both WorldSSP300 and WorldSSP but not in WorldSBK. Lavilla was on hand to discuss this topic and explained the latest on weight limits in WorldSBK. He said: “It’s something that, together with the manufacturers, the conversations started three or four years ago when we introduced it in WorldSSP300, and we introduced it in WorldSSP. I think it’s something natural in terms of when you want to balance a little bit the different personalities in terms of bikes and riders. It can never be something pretty exact because there are always extremes and extremes are very difficult to balance but to get an average that can help to balance a little bit is something that was on the table and was approved by the Superbike Commission for 2024. The latest comments are because someone would like more urgency in the application of the rules. If all the parties involved are happy to introduce it early, why not? But, currently, it’s approved for 2024.”

https://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/20...unbelievable year of racing and weight limits

2. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

The real question is - If Bautista starts a Rea-esque run (especially with ZERO development happening for sportbikes anymore outside of Ducati/BMW) and wins in 23 and 24 - then what? Make up another rule to try to get the results you want?

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. ljuice26

Kawi and Yamaha better hope Honda doesnt get their shit together. Their bikes are fast..... just need some tweaks here and there.

4. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Sadly Honda WSBK seem to be afflicted with the same chassis disease as MotoGP. Though they seem to be making improvements.

5. nlzmo400r

I've heard similar things and that Honda will be given 'super concessions' so they can make their chassis structurally less rigid in order to utilize the spec tire in WSBK to a degree enough to be competitive. But yes, the engine is fast, as any modern engine would be from a manufacturer like this; BMW engine is no different. Rea and Raz complaining about getting smoked on the straight bits but their engines have been around in more or less the same guise for 12 years and the Ducati v4 was a clean sheet design 5 years ago...soo...yea.

Could you imagine if Ducati was still using the v2 1200 engine and wanted other manufacturers to get their revs knocked down in order to make it more 'fair'? lol. EVERY other manufacture would tell them 'make a modern engine and you won't get left behind.'

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

:stupid:

let's not forget the inlet diameter restrictions they put on the 1199 also...

ljuice26 likes this.
  7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Isn't that normal? Yamaha modified the frame of the 2009 R1 except to make it competitive and consequently won both the WSBK and BSB championships. It wasn't a very good bike otherwise by all indications without those mods to the frame.

8. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

The wording here is interesting.. "the average" ...

Imagine if they took every Duc on the grid (and every Yam, Suz, Hon, BMW) and then averaged the weight of each rider and then set the weight limit for each manf based on average rider weight of the bikes on the grid.

THAT would be interesting to see enforced.

You'd probably see the independents leave the field so the factory teams can manipulate the rule.

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I like the MA weight rules, which might be similar to the WSS Rules.
    If the bike weighs more the X, you don't have to meet the bike & rider wight limit. This is the tiny jockey rule.
    If the bike weighs less than X you have to meet the bike & rider minimum weight limit of Y.
    No matter what, the bike cannot weigh less than Z. This is the 6'2" bodybuilder on a bike rule.

Steeltoe and Gorilla George like this.
  10. Exactly.

That is what I was getting at in the last thread related to this subject.

Ducati (and BMW) are constantly developing their bikes, making improvements and progressing. The other OEMs essentially want them penalized for doing so, since they have decided to not further their own bikes. IMO it is bullshit.

As I said in the other thread, if Kawi wants to beat Ducati, build a better bike. If that happens, and suddenly Kawi starts winning, then Ducati will need to build a better bike.

People need to worry about improving their own shit, rather than trying to take away from others.

mattys281-2, Bruce and Phl218 like this.
  11. prm

prm Well-Known Member

They did, they are not allowed to use it. It wasn’t ’new enough’. Trying to specify exactly what counts to get an engine evaluated is a dumb. However a manufacturer makes gains it should be considered.

12. I also believe it wasn't submitted in time.

I would buy those excuses, if the V4R had just now came out. But the V4R has been out (and fast) for several years. Kawi has had plenty of time to develop a faster bike. That excuse is also rejected when you figure they aren't bringing out anything new for 2023. They have had another year to make a better bike, but have failed to do so. IMO, this is on them.

They need to stop trying to limit the Ducati and work on their own shit.

13. ljuice26

Based on the rules that every manufacturer follows, they didnt build a new bike. Arbitrary part changes doesnt equal a new bike.

14. nlzmo400r

It was 13 years ago, not anymore. WSBK has definitely become more SSTK1000+ if you will, more aligned with factory machinery. This is generally done so the bikes more closely reflect what you can buy in the showroom and also theoretically 'lowers' the price point for teams to compete.

The downside is if you miss the mark on something like the chassis (honda) or engine (kawasaki) then it's not changeable until you completely change the bike and homologate a new version.

15. I personally like that methodology.

We have MotoGP where engineers can be creative to push the boundaries of technology and imagination.

WSBK (IMO) should be about which company offers the best production bike to the public. Making them "too modifiable" takes pressure off the OEM. They don't have to make a great production bike for the general public. They can put out lesser bikes, even if they have obvious deficiencies, because they can always just fix/modify the issue with the few bikes that end up racing.

I personally think the less they (WSBK) are able to modify the bikes for racing, the better it is for the general public. If you want to win, then you need to make a better bike...that is available to everyone.

mattys281-2 likes this.
  16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Also for sale to the privateers.

nlzmo400r and Gorilla George like this.