1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Wrapping" question..... Like on a vehicle....

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

So customer buys brand new Italian bike.
    Decided to wrap it himself.
    for whatever reason, he pulls the wrap off, and some of the clear comes with it.

Is this a warranty issue with Paint not being strong enough, or is there a prep procedure he didn't do first?

I am confused. My gut tells me it shouldnt take the clear off, but also, he did himself so not professionally, etc....

2. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Seems odd. I’ve wrapped a bunch of vans, and when we sell them the wrap comes off with no issues, even on late 2000’s chevys that are known for having adhesion issues.

I wonder what he used to take the wax off before applying the wrap. May have damaged the clear.

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Either way it doesn't matter. He made the choice to put the wrap on it. The factory isn't responsible for that and neither are you.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

C’mon it’s an Italian bike......there is your answer. Of course it is quality control and should be covered under warranty.

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Heres what you tell him...

[​IMG]

I mean seriously. Dude put a giant sticker on his new bike and pulled up the paint. And he expects it to be a warranty claim?

evakat, StaccatoFan and Funkm05 like this.
  6. Boman Forklift

So if you bought a brand new bike and put a sticker on, then pulled it off a little later and the clear came up, you would think that is normal?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  7. Venom51

I don't put stickers on anything in the garage other than the toolbox. However...if I went out and pulled the clear bra off the Lexus and it pulled some paint off that'd be on me. I had them put it on. It was not a factory option so no need for it to be covered under the factory warranty. Same for the clear wrap that's on the beetle.

8. Boman Forklift

I have no idea how long we are talking about? I presume bikes only have a 1 year warranty anyway, but haven’t bought a new bike since my 916? Having said that a quality paint job should last more than a year or two on a 15-40k Italian bike, IMO.

9. Venom51

Still even on a brand new one. If it came from the factory wrapped in a giant sticker and the paint pulled off while removing the sticker...sure cover it under warranty. Other than that I see no reason for them to do so.

10. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Easy, he did the work himself, he’s responsible. If he had it professionally wrapped, and they removed it and it pulled clear, the installer would be responsible. I just wonder if customer used a heat gun and screwed up heat settings, or overheated those areas.

11. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Nah, there wasn’t a warranty that you could make whatever mod to the bike you wanted and then have any damage warranted when you remove it. Maybe he used the most ridiculously strong vinyl wrap ever created. Or maybe the clear got softened a little with the wrap prep solvent. No matter the reason, no way that’s a valid warranty claim. Unless the dude buys a ton of bikes, then maybe take one for the team in the name of customer service. But make it known that’s what’s going on.

12. Robby-Bobby

This is a brand new bike with probably 100 miles on it. I have also checked with several installers and most say fuck that on installing on a multi angle type bike. The others will ONLY do it with the high dollar secialty 3m shit.

So We submitted the Warranty with the note that customer wrapped himself. He went on line and everything he says he found says the vinyl shouldnt pull the clear.

13. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

I will be shocked if it is covered under warranty.

turbulence likes this.
  14. Venom51

The internet says the world is flat too.

15. Robby-Bobby

Lmfao, maybe the sites you visit! LOL

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It ain't exactly like he washed his bike with soap and water and the paint came off. Manufacturer should send you a bill for the time they took to respond to your claim. :D

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Why take the wrap off after 100 miles? Install too crappy to deal with?

No way I'd expect the mfg to pay.

18. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Is it a 959? Dont those things have single stage paint? Idk if that makes a difference.

noles19 likes this.
  19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I hate stickers. I mean like I really hate stickers! No offense but he deserves it. Anyone who puts stickers on anything is the spawn of Satan himself.

Murcielago311 likes this.
  20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Do I think it was normal...probably not. But it ALL depends on the sticker. It could have some crazy security seal level of adhesive that would absolutely fail the paint first.

Thats why it isnt a warranty issue. Who knows what effing adhesive was on that wrap.

Now if it was factory approved, provided, etc then they should have known it wouldnt fail the paint and then it could be a warranty claim.