1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you buy a photocopied factory manual?

Discussion in 'General' started by Joe, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

So I see these threads on other boards selling copies of factory manuals at 1/2 the price or so,...so would you buy one if you knew that it was an illegal copy? I don't know if they are, but it sounds suspicious, or too cheap to be true.

I speed on the street, I cheated on school tests before, I've eaten grapes in the grocery store while wandering along, but this bugs me a bit...I mean making a living off of a photocopier like that is so lame, and then advertising publicly on gixxer.com and a bunch of other places is just asking to get busted, no?

Just asking,
    Joe

ps-An Admin on another BBS replied that he had ordered one and it turned out to be just a photocopy of a factory manual.

2. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Well Joe what else do you expect from the groupies that wander over at gixxer.com

I've been to that site on occasion and I must say the main topic seems to be "I crashed" or "I layed my baby down". Not what I'd call a seasoned bunch over there. [​IMG]

Back too your original ? I personally think it's wrong & illegal but would I buy one, h3ll yea [​IMG] as long as I thought I would not be prosecuted along with the guy making the copies. He needs too go down alone with the ship [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Tailender (edited 11-28-2001).]

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I have a friend that ordered one of those photocopied manuals for a YSR50. The pictures are so dark that they cannot be used. Ever try using a manual without pictures? The manual is useless and now he will be out that much more money to replace it with an original factory manual.

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I did see the R6 manual, 1 page with a picture of a bent wheel, a gsxr manual w/broken subframe tabs & a tranny bolt coming loose, and something that looked like a large Honda bovine with frame-slider-radiators?...the last one must've been photoshopped, nobody would really put the rads on the sides of a bike, would they?
    ps- [​IMG] j/k

[This message has been edited by Joe (edited 11-28-2001).]

5. joey-95v

joey-95v Registered

um, honda rc51

6. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

uuuuhhhhh.....VFR800 [​IMG] & Superchicken [​IMG] Notice it's a Honda thing [​IMG]

7. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

I cut costs where I can, but sleezeball copyright infringement is where I draw the line. And then add crap quality to the list... not worth the savings

8. texasF4

texasF4 Tallest Guy at the Track

Anyone think a new bike should come with a service manual instead of that worthless owners manual?

9. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

But how many mechanically inept new owners would get into trouble and void their warrenties with it?

I personally don't have a problem with copying the manuals, and have done so for friends before (but haven't sold them).
    The manufacturer has to produce them anyway for their dealers to be able to work on the bikes, so its not like this is a regular book publisher that gets all of its money from the sale of the book.

------------------
    James Greeson
    Senior Wannabe,
    GS Posse

10. Critter

Critter Registered

If you need a repair manual go visit
    www.repairmanual.com

len is a good friend of mine and he will have all the haynes and clymer manuals in stock as well as factory manuals and micro-fiche so you can go to the library or kinkos and print out the fiche and call your part numbers into the guys at the parts counter of you favorite dealership that way the guy behind the counter is sure to order the right parts

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I'd second and third that. They just sent me a new R6 manual and it only took 2 days to get, without having to pay any extra to rush it. I have also had good luck when bought from them this spring & about 2 years ago.

Thanks Critter for the recommendation.

12. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

There are probably almost as many funny (ie.,ins jobs,etc.) motorcycles being roadraced as there are copied manuals to fix em!

13. Powers

Powers BOHICA!

Actually, if you look around you CAN get legitimate manuals from mail order guys for just over half what a local shop will want. I once paid $17 for a factory ZX manual that my local shop wanted $30 for. While I am all for supporting the local shop guy, racing is too friggin expensive to just throw away $$ if I do not have to. [​IMG]