1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst racing coverage ever

Discussion in 'General' started by RM Racing, Sep 14, 2008.

1. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Yes, because of all the Doctors in Italy named Rossi. :D

2. georgiadawg

georgiadawg Elbows Out

oooor is it really all the motorcycle racers names Rossi are named Rossi? HHHmmmm no pass that joint Scotty and think about that one :D

3. motosbk

motosbk Member

You guys really need to go to MOTOGP.COM and just buy the package, you don't need to buy the Hi Def version the standard is good enough. You can hook a S video cable from your PC or Laptop to you TV and you have a full screen race with very good announcers. Stop being so cheap, its not that expensive. The coverage starts from the garage, to grid interviews, to full race, to podium, and ends with the interview. And the best part is you don't have to watch it live, you can watch it when ever you have time, there are no commercials and you can pause it whenever you want. By the way you can also watch full race of 250's and 125's.

4. Don't tell mom

Don't tell mom Well-Known Member

What did you do for Speed, and why did you get shit-canned? Also, you do know that the production company that did today's race is not the same as the one that does AMA Superbike, right?

I like the fact that you guys seem to be able to do a better job than guys that do it for a living. If it's not the announcers, it's the racers. I bet that sometime this week I will read that somebody on here could have beat any of the U.S. riders or how Ben was faster than everybody.

5. jLUND

jLUND Well-Known Member

Well, on a positive note, I felt that they followed the front riders very well and had some very good camera work. Maybe they should give the camera guys some mic's and let them have at it?!?

Weather sucked.

6. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

i think it was the production choices more than anything,plus being a rain race already made it less interesting .
    They have done a lot better .Laguna was better .

I think it matters how those broadcasts come across because you have a lot of new fans tuning in from other racing gigs and you want to keep them coming back and making the sport bigger/more popular .If I did not like motorcycle racing ,the show they put on T.V today was kinda scattered and would not have interested me enough to come back .
    Watch a nascar race ,that shit is like watching your grandma make change for a dollar but somehow they make it seem like your watching the superbowl .

The broadcasts and how people see them matter a lot to advertisers for sure.You cant tell me they don't shake their heads at that stuff watching their money not used to its full potential

7. offspring22

offspring22 jingoist

Sheheen could be an expert on all things MotoGP and I still wouldn't like him. He doesn't have a good voice. The Spanish and English MotoGP announcers have great voices. Same with most NFL commentators.

8. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I knew Ralf was going to suck before it came on so i hit mute. Why do you guys torture yourselves? Its not like you dont know in advance.

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Broadcast aside, word I got from workers on the scene was that race control and worker handling was pathetic.

10. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

watched rossi's interview on SPEED review(wasn't on the live broadcast ,boo) and he said he was watching beer bottles and garbage debris flying across the track .Would have sucked to get a Budweiser across the visor at 200mph.

When the euros who ride in garbage all the time start talking about its the worse conditions they've been in ,i think its time to stop .

Side note ,,did Rossi do anything special as a celebration in winners Circle like the milk ,or backflip etc ? Would have been sweet to have him do a rolling burnout across the bricks .

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

One of the things I did was dirt track and I didn't get shit-canned. Yes, I do know that the producer was different. I never said once I could do it better, this is not about me. I said Sheheen was terrible. It was a rant about poor quality work. Ralph needs to work harder at knowing facts about the riders and how to pronounce names.

12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

How many GP races has NBC broadcast live in the US so far? Maybe five or six over the last two years? How many have the overseas guys done??? It'll take time to get the commentating up to snuff, but NBC is trying to capture a broader market than the US core racing fanatics. I give them a thumbs up for broadcasting live, trying to make it understandable to the common viewer, and having it in HD. It's a good thing for the big picture of racing in the US.

13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Haven't read the thread, but the newspaper coverage in Indy was very good. A full two-page section on MotoGP in one paper - riders, race terms, bike info, info on the protective gear, and a bunch of other stuff for the casual fan. A lot of good news coverage on the local TV channels as well.

If the commentary is all you can complain about in the first MotoGP at Indy, I think that's a pretty good start.

14. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

The commentary on Motogp is worth the price.

Those guys are entertaining. The make mistakes but they correct themselves immediately and they laugh about their mistakes. They is a lot of excitement in their voices.

15. joec

joec brace yourself

thats actually on his wikipedia entry im pretty sure. great research there. idiot.

at least ralphie knew gp bikes raced at laguna before 2005 :D

it would also have been nice for them to actually know the rules and explain what they were talking about. why exactly they'd be changing tires and setups on nickys bikes and under what circumstances would lead to him coming in to switch bikes. i had flashes of the race where hayden was leading, came in, and threw the lead away while swapping bikes, while rossi stayed out. would have been nice to hear what the red flag was for, etc etc etc...

they sucked. although i think schwantz could stay if they had another good personality.

i dont even want to see the eurofeed, because it will make the u.s. feed look all the more hacked together.

16. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

MotoGP.com is the only way to watch the races. No commercials, and if your busy when its on live, you can always watch it anytime later on. Just finished watching both races, its was top notch coverage, as usual.

Lots of prerace coverage, and all of the qualifying too. And did I mention no commercials. :moon:

17. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

I think why people here are upset has to do with promoting the sport. Imagine trying to get your friend, family, co-workers, etc. to flip over from NFL or NASCAR and give MOtoGP a try. Nice that's it's shown live on a major network, but the coverage was pathetic. I tried to get my wife to watch, and i'm glad she had to go out. She wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in front of that coverage.

One of the biggest flaws (and CBS is guilty too) is that they just start the race with zero prep to the viewer. OK for those who know, but for new watchers, it's confusing as Hell. Every major televised sport gets at least a half hour of pre-game coverage, cometary and BS (even GOLF!!!!) Imagine watching Monday night football and after the theme song, it's goes right to kick off. Now imagine both of the teams being from another country with different rules. That's what the Indy coverage felt like to most.

There was so much going on for that race; Nicky back in the mix, new track, 09 contracts, Perdosa switching tires, weather, Michelin failures, etc. Easily a solid 15 minutes to prime the views. Hell, even the announcers could have used a little pre show warm up to get the excitement going. Would have made a world of difference to the viewer. Would have killed to hear inverviews from Pit lane, riders must have been nervous as Hell.

Yea, I know, pony up for MotoGP coverage. Sorry, but I bought it one year and the video was total crap. Couldn't read a damn graphic on the screen. Not paying $160 for to so called 'High Def' package, for that's not a whole lot better in my opinion.

I'm sure NBC's schedule was tight, but come on, did we really need to see every minute of a local truck jumping race? Which by the way, had far better announcing ;-)

Gotta go back and watch Laguna again. Greg White now looks like a pro :D

18. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

By the way, who the Hell plants trees inside a race track? Wet leaves flying onto the race surface? WTF?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nothing wrong with trees - the issue was the 40+ mph winds. Not exactly what you'd call normal racing conditions.

I think at this point no one can ever say the Moto-GP guys are prima donnas....

20. Hater

Hater Well-Known Member

So that they can come on the BBS and bitch and whine about it, of course--try and keep up. . . :D