1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World SBK | Moto America | GEICO US Round 22 - 24 JUN

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Jun 21, 2018.

1. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

The perception of the Herrin crash from one of my racing acquaintances that was at the race and happened to be in view of it said that by the time he got to the bike to take a look to see if it was rideable and he could rejoin they were already yelling at him and trying to push the bike away. But from those that have been there have already said (I haven’t been there) it sounds like if there’s anywhere the corner workers are going to be very aggressive on getting the bike and personnel away from the track it’s that particular corner.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Well I doubt they have any desire to be standing out there as targets for the next crash.

3. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’m sure. That corner in particular, I guess. If it wasn’t such a dangerous spot I’m sure the corner workers would have probably been a little more accommodating. Plus, who knows what was actually said out there, for all we know Herrin could have been giving them a proper verbal assault to merit the penalty.

4. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

The preach to us was this.

1. Cornerworker safety is first
    2. Get the bike out of the impact zone
    2a. If there is obvious trouble with the rider, responding workers will divide and handle both.
    2b. If the bike is rideable, help the rider get it going but if it won't get started with a quickness, get it the f out of there.
    3. Worry about the rider

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My issue with 2b is they need to be sure the CW making that call has the experience to do so. Agree totally on the rest.

code3ryder likes this.
  6. 418

418 Expert #59

Unless he punched a corner worker in the face I dont see what the big deal is. Years ago I had Disalvo argue with me outside Barber T7 about his bike and its condition for what seemed like forever. I wasn't too appreciative of his conduct or how long we stood in the impact zone but he just took a tumble and was full of adrenaline.

Expecting these guys to be 100% coherent and logical as soon as they hit the ground is a bit much.

p.s. Docking Herrin grid positions for the next race is ridiclous. Theyre treating him as if this behavior was habitual.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It wasn't a coherence issue if you read the penalty. He spent more time arguing with the CW's than he should have. That's it. It kept everyone in a high speed runoff area for too long. I don't blame him a bit for wanting to get back out there but some times you have to suck it up and walk away.

I will talk to Josh about it and see why he thought he could keep going and I'll talk to the MA peeps about it and get more info but the end result is he kept all of them out there too long arguing his point no matter how good or bad that point may have been. That is why the penalty and that'll be the end of it. Trust me, they don't like penalizing anyone, they would all much rather not have to make a call and go on home without the extra bs. But when they need to do something like this, they do it because that's the job.

418 likes this.
  9. 418

418 Expert #59

In all fairness I haven't seen the incident. It would be nice to have more information as to what happened.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Read the linked penalty. It covers it all. It's not like there is anything to discuss.

11. Joe Remi

Joe Remi Well-Known Member

I just watched the tape again. You see the dust from wrecking, then there's a shot about 25-30 seconds later where the workers are mostly just standing there while one is trying to push the bike..no one in his face at this point. Nearly a minute later Josh is holding his bike with his back to the track, jabbing his finger at workers and yelling.

I'll accept an initial argumentive adrenaline rush, but this seemed to escalate as time went on instead of flaming out. I think that's why they dropped the penalty hammer.

12. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Based on TV coverage, PJ Jacobson standing on the track in the corkscrew looking for fluid (wsbk race 2) looked much more concerning to me than what you could see of Josh's incident.

13. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Do you think if it wasn't in a dangerous impact zone the banter would have been okay? Without knowing what was said I know it's difficult to answer that question. As a racer and hockey player I know how adrenaline works. In the heat of the moment your fucking leg or arm could be severed off and you still want to keep going.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The officials see a lot more than what you do.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My gut is yes. When you've pushed the bike out of the impact zone you can argue all you like :D

16. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

30 minute time limit to file a protest of a ruling (an appeal),or to file a protest, is pretty common. A time limit is necessary to (1) expedite matters; (2) do it while the matter is still fresh and the facts have not (yet) been distorted; (3) not delay and complicate matters with opinions and suggestions from armchair quarterbacks around the country (se #1). Would 45 minutes or 1 hour be better or worse? It is just a matter of degree - not the fact of a time limit.

$1,500 is pricey. $500 for an internal-to-bike protest is pretty common. This is pro racing on a world stage, not a club event. The cost of an appeal or a protest needs to be high enough that folks think several times and are serious about filing. Otherwise, everything gets appealed or protested. These guys know the rules before they show up and participate (or at least they should). A fully prepared, competitive team has a stack of cash available for that, or other contingencies. Too much? Too little? Again, it is a matter of degree - not the fact of a meaningful cost.

I don't have an issue with the time limit or the cost. I think, from the sanctioning body's perspective, a more critical issue is the even-handed application of treatment of riders in post-crash situations. One corner is over-zealous while another is lax is not appropriate for the riders.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,

Dave

17. Joe Remi

Joe Remi Well-Known Member

Maybe, but if you're still cussing people out a minute later - we don't even know how much longer it went after that - the officials may decide enough is enough. I love me some JH, but I suspect he earned that penalty honestly.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wasn't talking about cussing or ranting and raving or the like - just the hey I wanna keep going discussion.

Granted I don't care about the language directed at me but if you get up after YOU crashed and start cussing out my cw's we've got an issue. Adrenaline dump or not.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just to clarify the above - that is cussing AT the corner workers, not just cussing the situation in general.

20. I wanted to see him get back out to gather some points but when I was watching it is even sent a text to my buddy asking wtf Herrin was trying to do, ride it with the throttle in his lap? They were in a very bad spot on the track, sometimes you need to just take the beating or let them move it to a safer spot first. I agree with MA taking this serious and I hope they stay consistent with it.
    If someone had crashed in that corner and hit all or one of them while Herrin was working on evaluating his bike we’d blame the coroner workers.