1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WIW: 1976 Kawasaki KE100

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 976-FIZR, Jan 14, 2011.

1. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

I've stumbled upon a street legal 1976 Kawasaki KE100 that I might be able to buy. The guy says he bought it brand new for his daughter in '76. She rode it a few times that summer and didn't like it. He parked it and it's sat in the same climate-controlled, unfinished basement for 34 years.

It's got fewer than 20 original miles, "ran when parked" and has a clean & clear title in the owner's hands. No body damage, just a broken tail lamp (girl looped it) but he has the original replacement tail lamp purchased in 1976 to fix the broken one, he just never mounted it.

What's a fair offer for it?

How "available" are replacement parts & gaskets? Y'know, if hypothetically someone wanted to get it back to running. :D

2. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

I bought the slightly older version, 73 G5 from the original owner 2 years ago for $600, had around 1600 miles on it and it was like new. I got it back in running condition, I have about another $75 into it and still need to do tires. I have tried to sell it a couple different times and have come to the conclusion I overpaid by at least $300 if I even want to break even. Only way I would buy the one you are looking at is if it is $300 or less, or if you really want to keep it for yourself.

3. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

BTW, parts are sort of available since they made the KE100 forever, although there were a few major changes.

4. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

I have a newer one of those. Makes a great pitbike, fun for lite off road if your not too heavy. Make sure its not locked up, if it has compression, it wil run. I agree 3-5 hundred max.

5. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

condition is everything on these older bikes.
    if the quality is high and this one sounds like it may be then- it's worth something well over the 3 to 5 marks.if it still has the new look/patina then you have a rare one. the paint and plastic accessories- still pristine? very nice old bikes, regardless of the make, size and displacement are rare. they are worth money.the key is to try not use it.treat it for what it is- an old bike that survived lifes treacheries.an investment of sorts.
    not all bikes are made to use up and then be discarded.maybe it's my age showing...

6. ccmhunt

ccmhunt Well-Known Member

my first bike was a KE100

7. st1100

st1100 Active Member

Nice original ones are real hard to find, I bought this one(1987) last year. They make great little pit bikes for sure.

Attached Files:

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

+1