1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiseco or HotRods crank kits?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by pscook, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I would definately advise a heavier oil mixture between 20:1 and 32:1 no matter what is says on the bottle. The small bores can really use the extra lube due to the rpm they turn. JMO

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

What oil brand/style would you recommend for 32:1? I don't want to start an oil thread, I just want to know what is a good oil to mix that thick as I don't want to upset the balance of modifiers when mixing at that ratio, as compared to mixing at the recommended ratio on the bottle.

3. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

As far as what I would do, any of the premium top name oils. In my personal small bores I have always mixed 24:1 as it also provides better ring seal for more power...plus the extra lube to the lower end is a plus. JMO

4. Bruce Lind

Bruce Lind Well-Known Member

I also mix at 24:1 and have for many years. And you and I have just a few years of experience at this.

Bruce Lind

5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Thanks to both. To completely change the subject, what about a 300 two stroke single enduro bike?

6. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

reminds me of a petite lady friend of mine.....:D

7. Bruce Lind

Bruce Lind Well-Known Member

I used to mix my 2t dirt bikes at 40:1

8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

That is what I picked, so I'm okay for now. Just need to dial in the jetting on the CR85 once I get it back together (after I get a response from Cpt. Squid).

9. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

40:1 is "ok" for the big bores 250 and up. I do not recommend 40:1 for the tiddlers. 32:1 minimum for the 65/85/125 motors. Your bottom ends will love ya for it. For the CR, the stock 142 (125 pre'05) is a bit rich but it will work. 135 to 140 (120 to 123 pre '05) works much better on a stock or mildly ported motor with pipe.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  10. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Wow my KTM 65 recommends 60:1, I have never ran it at that. I have been running 32:1 Just cause thats what I have always ran in my 2 strokes and it has always worked.

11. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

You get this baby back on the road yet?

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Short story- Yes. Sold. Finished.

Long story- I had to press the crank into the mains, quite the chore. The clutch bolt was rounded off so I didn't pull the clutch during teardown (cue foreshadowing music...). Got it together without a manual (it's a two stroke- What could go wrong?), fired third or fourth kick. But it rattled something fierce. It turns out I put the waterpump drive gear/primary gear on the crank in the wrong order. Oops. Now, about that clutch bolt- It was epic, I had to weld a big nut over the bolt "head" (what was left of it) and rattle it off with my gun. Upon assembly I broke a clutch spring tower. Double oops. Ebay to the rescue, and seven days later it's done. Guy bought it with very little haggling.

Thanks again for your help with the parts, that was a huge burden lifted.

13. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Guessing you missed the thread a few weeks ago about crank installation...Pressing a crank into the cases can and will cause several problems easily avoided.

14. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

To follow up on my other posts in this thread, I put a Hot Rods crank in that RM125 and it's been taking everything we can throw at it

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Did not miss it. I pulled it in, don't worry. This isn't my first (or tenth) crank. I may not have the experience of everyone here, but I have enough to keep myself (and my bikes) in one piece. I will say that the 85 crank was quite different than the others I have installed in that the fit between the crank and bearings was quite tighter than I have dealt with in the past.

16. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Then why would you press (ouch) the crank in when a little heat and it would have dropped right in. First you said you pressed it in then you said you pulled it in???? Chances are when it was pressed in it ended up out of true. I don't know anybody that rebuilds motors on a regular basis that presses a crank in. From everything that went wrong, it sounded like your 1st, not tenth, rebuild. Alot of good info can be found here from many experienced people...it is your choice to use it or ignore it. JMO ;)

17. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I am on vacation typing on a little net book. Sorry to lead you astray. Small PVC rings stacked with washers to pull the crank nose through the bearings. Crank was in the freezer overnight to let it settle, bearings were lightly warmed with a heatgun (didn't want to torch it with the seals installed).

Clutch bolt was rounded from previous owner, it was soaked with red loctite, as was the primary nut and flywheel bolt. It was a mess. Yes I put the two gears in bass-ackwards, that happens. Breaking the tower on the clutch was a goof on my part. Don't you remember the little chat we had about YZ426's a couple of years ago? That engine was my third or fourth full dirt bike rebuild, so it's been at least three single cylinders more in between, plus the inline fours. I used every single piece of information that I asked and searched for. Don't believe that I ignore the good information and follow the bad. Ease up on me, Tryce. This engine was a labor of love with a couple of learning moments. I have learned somehting on every single engine I have worked on, either through someone else's teachings or through tough luck. That's how it works sometimes.

18. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

Wiseco piston are pretty damn good--never used their cranks/bottom end kit

19. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

Tryce may very well be Nick Noltes long lost twin.