1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winterize

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Luckystrike, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Luckystrike

Luckystrike Well-Known Member

How do you guys store your GP bikes over the long winter?

2. TZ925

TZ925 I do it for His glory!

Make up a richer mix of your race fuel and whatever premix you use except A747 as it doesn't have any rust inhibitors. Silk Pro2 or Pro2+ should be fine, maybe a 24:1 mix.
    Run it through the bike to get the crank coated.
    Drain carbs and radiator.
    Cover exhaust silencer opening.
    Plug airbox intakes to keep critters out.
    If your garage is attached to your house and doesn't get too cold, disconnect your battery if you have one. If your garage gets really cold you may want to remove the battery and keep it inside but that's being a bit extreme.
    Throw an old sheet over it to keep dust off.
    Hop on your favorite piece of fitness equipment and get ready for next year.

Good luck.

Monty

3. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

HOw about fogging a crank. I know in the marine industry they fog out their cranks with oil, like the post just said. This stuff comes in cans. You run the engine and spray it in the carbs till the engine stalls. It coats the crank over the winter. Spring the bike will start and you burn that oil out.
    What about Stabil for gas?
    I would put antifreeze in the radiator. If their happens to be a pocket of water somewhere that could be trouble. It is easy enough to flush in the springtime.

4. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

Well I am not sure about the fogging stuff as I wouldn't want to introduce a new oil to the crankcases. Sure it is OK but I got a LONG lecture from Kevin at MCE about this...

Remove all the old premix from the tank and dispose of properly. Tank will not rust empty as it is aluminim.

Be careful with the type of antifreeze you put in. Many of the auto style antifreezes will swell up the engine seals. I would go and get antifreeze for a dirtbike maybe. I know it is made because new GP bikes are shipped with antifreeze.

Hope this helps.

Bill Cole

5. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

Thats right I ordered some Engine Ice and I got a gallon sitting in my closet
    http://www.cyclelogic.cc/

But no GP bike yet to put it in [​IMG]

I bought it to use in my FZR400 when it was running hot

But a couple of weeks I should have a GP125 can't wait. Love 2 strokes but I will not have a clue what to do. I guess that's why this list is here.

6. Philip_37

Philip_37 No soup for you!

Evgine Ice and all the other propylene glycol coolants will make your bike run hotter.

If you want to use PG coolant in your bike over the winter just get some RV coolant at Kmart. The pink coolant that they use in the water lines of RVs is simply PG and water for $3 a gallon. If you want to use something that is designed for engines look for the low-tox stuff with a picture of a dog on the front. It should list propylene glycol on the back and it is only about $5 a gallon.

The companies that sell PG for "race use" at $25 a gallon really kill me.

[This message has been edited by Philip_37 (edited 11-09-2001).]