1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

winter vintage project bike?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 70yamahaR5, Sep 8, 2013.

1. charles

charles The Transporter

I'm getting there.....no big block or monster clutch ,but those are technomagnesio tz250 wheels...... k[/QUOTE]

I'm curious, does your chain ever so slightly rub on the swingarm up near the pivot? 17 or 18 c/s sprocket? ride height?

2. bogganman

bogganman Well-Known Member

tz250 modern tail section, triumph Daytona 675 upper. I used it because I had it.One of my co-workers is a fiberglass guru-used to be a supplier for sharkskins, and now makes modern Trans Am components for us. he has the molds for the 675, and the spec II rz350 full fairing, if anyone needs a brand new set. also cr750 Honda stuff. the 675 upper is very aerodynamic. I could feel my top speed increase when I mounted it. k

3. bogganman

I'm curious, does your chain ever so slightly rub on the swingarm up near the pivot? 17 or 18 c/s sprocket? ride height?[/QUOTE]

slightly rubs on the factory plastic chain guard. down to a 16 tooth at tally. fully adjustable fox shock set at near the maximum ride height..... I haven't gone the trinity route yet- wanted to see what was capable with a mildly ported stock jug. As I've stated here before, I really have concentrated on the chassis development. 1:26's at roebling,1:10s at little Talladega. 3 seconds off the current pace in f-2 stroke. Gruhn, Hinshaw and Scott Mc. aren't playing around. I was never in Joe's league. Is anybody? To be honest with ya-I don't know if I ever wanna go that fast.I've been on my head too many times already. The formula 500 Yamaha engines are knocking on 80 hp now, if they're not there already.... I could run a ds7 in 350 gp I believe, but I've got an rd350 coming out to spank my buddy Brian Wells on that cb400f in v2.Of course I Could run 350gp, and pass him with a drum brake for the overall win.Now THAT would be humiliating. Hmmmmm Too many projects, so little time........ k

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Best I ever got at Tally was a 1:16 on a pretty bone stock RZ.

Only time I ever saw Joe was at the start line (and that was only for a brief moment!).

5. charles

charles The Transporter

Joe...in a class of his own.:up:

6. charles

charles The Transporter

slightly rubs on the factory plastic chain guard. down to a 16 tooth at tally. fully adjustable fox shock set at near the maximum ride height..... I haven't gone the trinity route yet- wanted to see what was capable with a mildly ported stock jug. As I've stated here before, I really have concentrated on the chassis development. 1:26's at roebling,1:10s at little Talladega. 3 seconds off the current pace in f-2 stroke. Gruhn, Hinshaw and Scott Mc. aren't playing around. I was never in Joe's league. Is anybody? To be honest with ya-I don't know if I ever wanna go that fast.I've been on my head too many times already. The formula 500 Yamaha engines are knocking on 80 hp now, if they're not there already.... I could run a ds7 in 350 gp I believe, but I've got an rd350 coming out to spank my buddy Brian Wells on that cb400f in v2.Of course I Could run 350gp, and pass him with a drum brake for the overall win.Now THAT would be humiliating. Hmmmmm Too many projects, so little time........ k[/QUOTE]

Well you've got something there about wanting or not wanting to go any faster...one of the drawbacks to the Trinity setup is that the power hits very hard and you really are taxed to handle it...for a guy like Joe P., it was his 'comfort zone.' It's scary for the average decent rider...1:26 at Roebling is quite respectable, and i do not believe the extra power provided by the Trinity setup makes that much difference over your current RZ setup...by the way, there is an ad for an Yam R1 caliper setup for the RZ complete with master cyl and adapter plates, $200 for everything, could substantially improve braking.

7. bogganman

those 4 piston fzr600 sumitos work very,very well. the fzr forks do also,though not as good as upsidedowns would obviously. Actually, braking is my strong suit. I just need more go-go juice. and yes, a properly squished ds7 head would be mandatory K