1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windshield chip repair

Discussion in 'General' started by OGs750, Apr 4, 2018.

1. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I caught a stone on my way into work this morning and I have a small (<.100") chip in my windshield.

Has anyone used one of those kits to repair it themselves and if so, how did the repair turn out? Or is it not worth the effort?

2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I had a chip in the windshield. Took it to a local glass place and they did the epoxy thing. Took about an hour and lasted without issue for 6 years until I traded the car in.

Don't know how well the do-it-youself-kits work, but the epoxy fill thing definitely works if you get it done before the damage spreads.

3. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I've seen some epoxy kits for ~$10 at the auto parts stores. The local shop with good reviews quoted me $40. I'm probably splitting hairs here, but $30 is $30. I'm more worried that the repairs are more complicated than I think and it's best left to professionals.

4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the glass guys use a vacuum to get the resin in the crack, don't know if that kit comes with something that does that, if not I'd pay a pro if you want it to work properly.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I paid to have a chip fixed. I don't remember the price so it must not have hurt too bad.
    The repair was virtually invisible.
    They'll come to you, if you want.

6. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

7. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Contact your insurance company. They may have the chip repaired for free. The premise being that they would rather pay a small fee to repair the chip than to replace the entire windshield.

That’s what I did.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I used the 3M kit on my ram about 60K miles ago. Still good as new.

Comes with a suction syringe thing to fill it all the way down. Can't even tell it is there.

9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This.

10. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Yuup. Insurance fix was free and no issues when done correct

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

My wife did this too.

12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

It's a trap ! I don't do that shit anymore. If you do the chip repair thing, it counts as a claim with your insurer. Plus, there's no warranty your windshield won't crack. So might as well leave it and claim a windshield when it does crack. At least your claim will have given you a solid new windshield.

13. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Our insurance has replaced the windshield on our FJ Cruiser twice for no cost. It's about due for a 3rd one.

14. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

For those of you who claim the chip, how does that effect your premiums? I ended up paying for it out of pocket because I went to the shop before the thread took off, but I'm curious for the future.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

In our case, they claimed it didn't change the premiums, and it doesn't seem to have. I consider that stuff too.

For my business, I have small losses all the time, used batteries stolen, (7 forklifts and work truck batteries hit in one weekend) windows broken, etc., since I'm in the ghetto of Long Beach. I haven't filed claims on any of that stuff, maybe stupidly, because when something big happens I want coverage and I don't want a few piddly claims to get me dropped. There aren't that many companies that I've found to write insurance for forklift companies.

16. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I’ve done the self repair and also have had safelite do another repair. For all the effort involved it’s just easier to have someone do it for the price and also it comes out better and it has a warranty

_indy likes this.
  17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Tried the kit at the auto parts store. Results were less than stellar. Have a pro do it

18. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Safelite, 1 year warranty that it won't spread or they replace the windshield.

Had 5 done same shield, all good until the truck was gone. All but one was invisible, the last one not worth mentioning.