1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 microphone mind f@ck

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Sep 22, 2017.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

(1) Yes, that's doable

(2) I can disable the built-in no problem. But that doesn't force the headset to pick the slack. Even after reboot. I just have no mic at all.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Right click on the headset and set it as your default communication device. Set the Realtek audio device as the default audio device. If you are using voice command enabled software packages you should also select the recording tab and select the headset as the default recording device.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Headset is already the default.
    Lemme check on Realtek.
    Voice commands are set for headset and become useless every time the built-in mic high-jacks my shit.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

New twist:

The only mention of Realtek in the device manager is under "network adapters."

5. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Do you happen to know, or can you find the name of your audio device? If not, tell me what model Dell you have and I'll look it up. It occurred to be earlier that you may be operating under a generic driver, but I didn't consider beyond that.

6. Venom51

There is a difference between default device and default communication device. The default communication device would be the default for anything like Skype, SIP phones and such. The default audio device would be for media playback like youtube and music.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  7. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Have you tried unplugging it from the USB port and then buying a Mac?:D

BHP41, metricdevilmoto and V5 Racer like this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Old-ass Studio 1749.
    Headset has always been the default for both.

I'm using it right now, by the way. Just started using the laptop for the first time today. So of course, it's working. Let's see in a couple of hours. :rolleyes:

Lawn Dart likes this.
  9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

That won't save you, spent 20 minutes the other day trying to figure out why audio was either intermittently dropping or stupid quiet on various means of accepting a conf call. Different means on calling in, different destinations called. Ultimately ended up being my mac's audio engine flaking HARD. One reboot later, all was good.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

"You have successfully logged in to Windows. Please restart your computer."

:D

BHP41 likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Looks like back-to-back days of normal operation. I hate this stuff.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

13. Venom51

It's really simple stuff. Default device means just that. If there is only one device it will be default be the default device. If you have multiple devices that perform the same function then you the "User" has to tell the operating system which one you want to be the default device. Most applications comes out of the box ready to use the default device but give the user the option to select a specific device. This will override anything that has been selected as the default device for that specific application.

The default communication device follows the same functions as above.

It's not rocket surgery.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Until Windows changes back to it's preferred default :D

15. Venom51

If you have set it in the application the only reason Windows will swap back is the lack of presence of the second device.

16. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Just a thought, have you tried a different headset? Could be having issues and defaulting back to mic.

"Windows is great at multi-tasking as long as its not doing anything else"...

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

This is one reason why I switched over to being a Cisco/network infrastructure guy vs. a Windows Server/Application guy - I find fewer bugs and inconsistencies when I'm dealing with the wire and not necessarily what's on the wire.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I hear you, but I haven't changed a single setting. It worked for years, then it was working for a week, then it worked for two days straight. Through the whole time, my default settings remained exactly the same except for when I was troubleshooting.

That was the plan for this week. I actually tried to order one Thursday at the height of my frustration and the vendor's website crashed. :rolleyes:

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Karma for being such a prick? :D

20. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

It was the North Koreans.