1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will water wetter freeze?!!

Discussion in 'Tech' started by nathansvr, Nov 6, 2007.

1. fastlaneduc

fastlaneduc Member

Nice...I have a 7 yr old so I understand;) Wht do you pull it with?
    And I'll say 'water wetter' to keep it thread consistant :up:

2. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I have a Ford Excursion. It is my 2nd one. I love them. This time we got the Eddie Bauer one with DVD, Leather, etc. Comfort for travel is a lot bigger deal now with a kid and tracks that aren't very close to home. I may ride slow, but I travel well! :D

3. Chip

Chip Registered

Thats what we added to RM Racing and he hasn't froze yet...:up:

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You have to keep the overflow topped off though. And you have to drain and refill often. With this setup, you have lots of horseponies, but you crash a bit.

5. g.mccormick

g.mccormick Well-Known Member

don't forget the overflow bottle when you are replacing water with antifreeze. It would suck to have that freeze and break over the winter.

6. Chip

Chip Registered

:crackup: :crackup:

:beer: Here's to many more...

7. mattyg587

mattyg587 Speedbike.com

What are the horror stories when novices let their bikes freeze solid? Is the engine toast, or do some survive? I assume its aparent when it thaws and it either leaks or doesn't? For the record, I always drain em....

But I'm looking at an '05 CBR that the guy let freeze solid. When it's thawed (heater by the bike) will it be just a matter of running the bike to see if it leaks, or overheats and if the oil stays clear (and not milky) or are there other serious problems that may not be aparent?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  8. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

I raced an FZR400 a while back ,once actually, I had no previous water cooled experience... it froze overnight at Willow, in Nov `94 with the water wetter mixture, and after what I thought was enough time to thaw out, I tryed to start it. Spun the impeller in the water pump, and could not find anyone with parts, sat out race day. sold the bike back to the previous owner the next month. I have an enclosed trailer now, and I put moving blankets over the bike, like teezee, and it seems to do the trick... not sure how to handle this upcoming weekend at Tally. maybe a space heater as well.

9. Bench Racing

Bench Racing I was faster than you

I ride a Buell now, so I don't worry about this stuff anymore, but when I used to have a CBR:

When I used Water Wetter, I had to either keep it in a heated garage/basement, or change the coolant (did both over a few years). Then, I changed to Engine Ice, and as far as I remember, it is race track friendly, and has a -27 F freezing point.

10. freels22

freels22 Well-Known Member

carefull with the little eu2000i's. if you have a larger air/heat unit they may not be enough to run everything like tv's, tire warmers etc. i've got a 15kbtu air/heat unit on my trailer and its takes 3.5kw to run. both the eu2000's together wont push much more than that. i just bought a em7000iab. it does everything you will need and is is pretty quiet also. just a heads up.

11. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I bought a bike that had (unbeknownst to me) been frozen. If I had known, I would not have bought it, and sure enough...it was a massive headache. It's not worth it.

12. mattyg587

mattyg587 Speedbike.com

That's the conclusion that I came to in my head....what a shame..this looked to be a great fit for me.

13. mattyg587

mattyg587 Speedbike.com

Oh well, back in the market for a 600 I guess......

14. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

Hi Dave-what do you mean? did it crack the engine block?

15. gix

gix jigga who?

dont most modern bikes have freeze plugs?

16. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Even if they do have "freeze plugs", they won't prevent the block, head casting or water pump housing from cracking.