1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why no CBR600's on the grids?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by aprilia777usa@y, Sep 24, 2009.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

and i doubt he's breaking the bank with lots of new tire purchases.

I'm far from an authority on what 600 is the best on the track, but I love my honda. It just feels better to me than other bikes.

that may be because I started on an F2, and moved to an RR, so there's some 'familiarity' between them that I'm chalking up to 'better feel,' but when I've ridden R6's, i always feel like i'm perched on top of the bike in an awkward position. I haven't tried to get used to it, so maybe i'd like it if I stuck with it.

everything i've ever read indicates that the Hondas usually are down a few hp compared to the other 600's, but I just find them easier to ride. More 'forgiving,' I guess. the HP advantage shouldn't be anything proper gearing or a low-carb diet can't fix...

at the AMA level, i'm sure the technical limitations start to matter, but I'm equally as sure that I'd be no faster on an '09 R6 than i am on my '03 RR

2. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

The R6 feeling that you're talking about ("sitting on top of the bike") is the main reason that I like the cbr600rr. It gives me the same "sitting on top of the bike" feel. I have owned all four manf's and I never liked the "sitting inside" the bike feel that the Kawi and Suz give:down:

3. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

^^ i agree, i like feeling like i'm flying and not seeing the bike.

4. b_rymer

b_rymer Well-Known Member

my 07 600rr is workin great for me...the only gripe i got is the parts department.....cant seem to find any used racing parts for it like fuel management and suspension for example.

5. Andyham19

Andyham19 Well-Known Member

Im gonna run a 07 cbr next year. best bike i've ever been on.

6. aprilia777usa@y

aprilia777usa@y Well-Known Member

Great info everyone, thank you very much! I think I'll be riding red at the 200 in March. Anyone willing to release info on how much hp they are producing on their CBR. Sounds like handling is no issue with the machine with everything I've read and learned from talking to everyone I can talk to. HP is the big question, and I will be running AMA, I just wonder how far I'll be down from the R6's making 125 on the dynojet?

Thanks,
    Jonas

7. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Love my Honda. Seems good by me, won some races, turned some good laps in my first year racing. Heres a pic from the other week with 3 CBR600RR's in it, im in front :clap:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. vito2279

Nice pic Peakpowersports!!! I did my number plate EXACTLY like yours:beer:

9. superbikestore

superbikestore Well-Known Member

my baseline was 114hp in true stock form with stock exhaust and air filter. I dyno at 122hp now with a full Arata and Bazzaz with self tuned map on pump gas. no other engine mods.

To the guy with suspension issues, the out of the box suspension isn't bad unless you are far off the normal weight. The geometry is not optimal for racing though, the whole bike needs to be raised up a bit, the rear more than the front. If you want to quit messiing with suspension, I suggest thermosman as his setup for this bike is super sweet.

10. b_rymer

i like thoses #s....hope mine pulls that good with a bazzaz and tune.

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

It is funny how at the amateur level, there are a lot of Hondas. At the expert and AMA level, not nearly the numbers.

Jonas - I think you're crazy, but if you're crazy enough, can I take it around for a few laps once you get it? :D

12. vito2279

I just put a Bazzaz on mine also. I have a full Micron system and I will be PUMPED if I can get numbers like his:up:

13. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Jonas, I'm sure you've already got an engine builder, but I'd just check and make sure he's familiar with Hondas. If done properly, an SS tuned Honda can easily pull 120-125 on race gas.

Suspension on the Honda is a little crazy to tune as well. You'll want to lower the front (raise the forks) as much as 8mm or so and jack the rear as high as you can go.

I would also suggest trying both a superstock and superbike tail section. One complaint I have with my Sharkskinz suberbike tail is that it raises the rider off the seat by at least 2 cm, making it feel like you're really forward and on top of the bike. Takes some getting used to.

You should also try both the standard and riser version of the clip-ons. Standard feel better IMO but can pinch your hands in the bodywork when the bars are turned to the extremes.

14. vito2279

I put my forks FLUSH with the triple tree. Do I need to lower them?

15. b_rymer

mine are 5mm above them....the way it sounds i might need to play with that a little. hey kiggy what set-up are you refering to? aftermarket shock jacked up or stock?....what tires you runnin?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  16. superbikestore

no, flush is the tman setup, rear shock 301mm eye to eye, IIRC>

17. superbikestore

5mm above the clamp is stock. kiggy is refering to an aftermarket shock, you can't raise the ride hieght on the stock unit

18. superbikestore

due to no contingency as previously mentioned. why would a top level expert use a honda when he can get paid to place on his gsxr or kaw ? I know in CMRA Honda paid contingency last year and there were some guys running them. If Honda paid 2k to win a CSS race, There would be 5 of them on every grid.

19. vito2279

THANK GOD!! I just got a 20 mil kit and Ohlins triple from him. Looks like I'm good to go on the suspension then:up:

20. superbikestore

You will love it. Finishes a turn much better with the raised height. I honestly cannot find a single thing wrong with the way it handles after he set mine up.