1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does the NFL have tax-exempt status?

Discussion in 'General' started by cgordon3, Nov 13, 2014.

1. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I guess this could go political, but I am curious if anybody here can explain it.

I would assume then that MLB, and NBA are as well... But I need to do some more research I guess.

Thoughts?

2. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

Good question.

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

This can not be answered in this forum.

4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

5. ralphcor

ralphcor old slow guy

6. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

While that was certainly informative... How did "football leagues" become no - profit... Inquiring minds and all that. :D

7. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

When you pay your QB and RB, Etc. millions upon millions to play, you don"t have any left for profit, DUH:p

8. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Is there a "whoosh" smiley?:D

9. Just the league itself, the sanctioning body, is tax exempt. Not the teams, which is where the majority of the revenue goes.

Fencer, most teams are actually very profitable. The way the collective bargaining agreement is set up, between the teams and the players, the salary cap is based off the overall revenue. I think the players get around 50% of the projected revenue, but I'm not positive on that number.

10. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Sarcasm font is needed. I thought the :p and DUH would help you out, but I guess not:Poke:

Now where is that Whoosh smiley?:moon:

11. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the Packers are the only publicly owned/ traded NFL franchise but I'm not clear on their 'profit' status.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

We have one

13. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Bush's fault.

Reggie Bush, ya buncha idjits! :Poke: