1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whose the most impressive person you've ever met?

Discussion in 'General' started by Yzasserina, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

The aviation thread, and in particular, the references to Sullenberger, got me to thinking. I've never met him, was in lower Manhattan with a view of the Hudson that day (it was FREEZING out). I remember the OH NO feeling that washed over the conference as people checked their phones, followed by jubilation. I read his autobiography, very good, and he has dedicated his work life to aviation safety, as well as being a pilot. But maybe not so in person? My father said Schwarzkopf was an a$$hole, but there's no denying his achievements. So, the most impressive person I've ever met is General Wesley Clark. Guest speaker at a conference--I was starstruck. Worked up my nerve and introduced myself, had a nice conversation, and he was so impressive. Brilliant, thoughtful, urbane, etc.

How about you all?

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Couldn’t set the bar any lower than that...

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Impressive in what way?

Never meet your idols, they usually turn out to be assholes. You know what, never have idols.

TheGrouchyCat and GRH like this.
  5. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Whatever way you define. I'm not talking idols...I don't have idols, more admiration for achievements. And Toe, don't you have some Ulster or somesuch to watch?

6. Joe Foss.

jasonhise likes this.
  7. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Eddie Lawson when he was racing Indy Lights at Mid-Ohio. No one had a freaking clue who he was, I got to spend like 15 minutes talking to him. No one else approached him the entire time we were talking.

scottn, Yzasserina and Motofun352 like this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Schwantz but I knew him way before his world championship but still. . . and a cool ass mofo.
    Bill Clinton - say what you want about him but that mother f@cker could talk you into drinking the cool aid.
    Both the President Bushs. Dad way a preppie gawd but pretty alright. Son was goofy but I thought that was an act to disarm you, you knew there was smarts backing it up.
    The Ramones (few times) - the funniest was after a show and was at a Cumberland Farms (I think) and they were just wandering around the store. Looked like someone dropped off a bunch of special needs adults at the store and took off.

Those are some that stick out in my head right now.

tiggen, K51000, lazlo and 1 other person like this.
  9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

10. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

Captain Alfred Clair Haynes. Came to our squadron mid 1990's I think is was for FAA Crew Resource Training in the aftermath of the accident. It was so impressive to hear his first hand account and the play by play. So cool under pressure. I will never, ever forget the look on his face when talking about the lives lost and how he wished he could have saved them all. Still with me after all these years.....

United Airlines Flight 232
    was a regularly scheduled United Airlines flight from Denver to Chicago, continuing to Philadelphia. On July 19, 1989, the DC-10 (registered as N1819U) serving the flight crash-landed at Sioux City, Iowa, after suffering a catastrophic failure of its tail-mounted engine, which led to the loss of many flight controls. At the time, the aircraft was en route from Stapleton International Airport to O'Hare International Airport. Of the 296 passengers and crew on board, 111 died in the accident and 185 survived, making the crash the fifth-deadliest involving the DC-10, behind Turkish Airlines Flight 981, American Airlines Flight 191, Air New Zealand Flight 901, and UTA Flight 772.[note 1] Despite the deaths, the accident is considered a prime example of successful crew resource management because of the large number of survivors and the manner in which the flight crew handled the emergency and landed the airplane without conventional control.

Yzasserina and ducnut like this.
  11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

In reflecting back I can honestly say I've never met anyone who you would consider famous. "Met" as in actually had a chance to talk to. As far as impressive, I'd have to say my Dad. WWII vet, flew bombers against the Japanese, went from a high school so-so performance to lead a major construction group for the PRR. He could fix anything electronic back when this was generally not well understood. He never seemed to think much about his accomplishments, neither did I, until much later when I had to learn the hard way what it must have taken.
    PS. He always called capacitors condensers which I thought was funny. Oh, and he liked martinis too though he called them olive soup. DonaldGutshall_War2 - Copy.jpg

MikeR, Senna, tiggen and 10 others like this.
  12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Jesse Owens came to our high school back in the 70's and spoke to our class. About all I've got.

Oh, I did run into Johnny Rotten at of all places an F1 race. He was just casually walking along and I stopped (kind of freaked out) and went "wow, Johnny Rotten!" I swear he looked at me and said, "Fuck Off Wanker!" I felt honored:D

t11ravis, K51000, zjay and 2 others like this.
  13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Impressive? I think, we’ve all met countless people who are impressive, if we’re intelligent and humble enough to recognize them.

turner38, GarrettRick and blkduc like this.
  14. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Gary Denton.

tigerblade likes this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

FTFY

Mot Okstef and Sabre699 like this.
  16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Bobby Unser.... when I was Bartending back in the late 80’s or early 90’s he came in the bar while he was in town commentating for the Motorcraft 500. He was also the Pace Car driver.I knew he was a legend back then and started just to chat with him.. My shift was over and I was heading to the boat show at the congress center. As I was saying goodbye he was like Can I go with you? I said absolutely.. we shared a cab. Went to the show.. people were all over him for autographs etc..back then I remember he was looking for a 3D depth finder.. after the show I bought him dinner and drinks back at the bar I worked at..The stories were epic of what he shared.. He gave me a signed autograph of him with the Pace car (Cadillac STS I think) and a business card.. he said if I was ever out in Albuquerque to call him... Well about 20 years went by and we had a HMGP event up at the Brickyard where we rode the F1 confit with the SVRA event. 3 years ago.. guess who the Grand Marshall was... yep Bobby Unser. I stood in line for autographs and when I got up to him he started to sign a poster then I said remember that Boatshow in Atlanta you went too 20 years ago? He stood up in between his 2 Grand Kids and said Marc? Dude is still sharp as a tack... Made my friggin weekend for sure..

0BC73349-7190-48D0-B883-1F4DB58B72D5.jpeg

MikeR, t11ravis, Scott47 and 10 others like this.
  17. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

A female astronaut who shall remain nameless.

Mom brought the whole family out to the base because Dad was taking her for a flight in the jet for some Air Force/NASA goodwill program. We got to hang out with her and I still have a book about the future of space, which she signed, wrote a big note in, and gave to me (because my brothers were assholes to her, IDK).

But that’s not the cool part.

At the squadron dinner that night, she understood AF shananigans well enough, eg., the guest of honor was to have rolls thrown at him (her in this case), and preempted the matter by speaking with the cooking staff. So, instead of each of the tables having a full magazine of rolls at hand, only two or three were in each basket. Meanwhile, behind the speaker’s podium, she had a whole box full and ready. When the XO went for the wind-up during her presentation, she beaned him right in the head before he let it fly. And that’s when the melee began, only, most of it came from her into the audience as opposed to the normal, audience victory.

The fact she didn’t hold back and was clever enough to understand what was going to happen, makes her the most impressive person I’ve met. The astronaut thing is kind’a cool, too.

Shenanigans and scottn like this.
  18. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

[​IMG]

lazlo, scottn and ducnut like this.
  19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Hell at least spell Sean correct...:crackup:

scottn, noles19 and rd400racer like this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah

My Parents. Not perfect in any way, but perfect for taking care of me. Always impressed me with their love and caring, way more than they ever needed to.

My dad truly started with very little, 70's. Came to this a new country, no other connections. Lived in an apartment with roomates. Went to college here, worked his way through school doing medial jobs, while still studying when he could. Now a Chief Officer for buildings. A total workaholic.

Mom had some family here, worked on Wall Street as an admin for some time, then got laid off, stayed home for about 5 years, and then worked for 20+ years at a hospital before finally retiring this year.

They met each other here. They've had their ups and downs, but they stuck it through. I just hope they enjoy retirement soon because they've both earned it. Dad just keeps plugging away.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    KneeDragger_c69, ToofPic and XFBO like this.