1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's seen "The Passion"?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by tcasby, Mar 2, 2004.

1. tcasby

tcasby Banned

Who's sick of hearing about it?

2. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I'm not much for the movies. Is there a book I could read? :rolleyes:

3. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

LMAO!!! :beer:

What year did Gutenberg invent the printing press? Isn't that enough time for these people to have read the book? Here in SC, the movie was released on Ash Wednesday. Movie theatres were book'd solid in advance until March! :wow:

Is this movie based off of the King James version of the bible?

-Wish

"Don't judge a book by its movie..."

4. Joe Morris

I've heard, and believe me I've tried to avoid hearing anything about this, that church groups have rented out the local theaters for private screenings. I'm not sure how all that works but I was just suprised because I'd never heard of that after the public release of a movie.

5. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

I'm too squeemish to watch the "Torture of Christ".

6. blueduc37

blueduc37 Well-Known Member

I doubt that's it's sqeemishness Rodger.

I believe the biggest problem most people have (the ones that have a problem) with this movie is that there is no place to put the emotion one feels, if one does not understand why Jesus would allow this to happen to himself, and if fact arrange it. At the core of our soul we know why, but our will and the way we want to live our lives gets in the way.

We simply can't allow for the fact that someone could love us that much. It offends us at the deepest level. This is not a philosophical arguement. None of your arguements would make one bit of sense or difference if you were standing there face to face with Jesus in his suffering.

7. Joe Morris

Actually, none of that enters into my criticism. Simply, I don't care to see someone elses visual depiction of the Bible. I have my own mind and my own imagination. If your insecure in your reading comprehension then by all means go lay your good money down. I won't be going.

8. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Or maybe, just maybe, we don't believe in your God and therefore the movie has no entertainment value to it as a result.

9. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

Why is His suffering so extraordinary? You and I would go through that if the lives of our loved ones rested upon it. But perhaps I miss the point.

:confused:

10. cinderella

cinderella Guest

I and my friends got hit with a bunch of "spam comments" on our journals - postings from people we didn't know, that had nothing to do with the contents of said journals, posted solely to urge people to go see this movie.

Because of this spamvertising, I will not go see it, and I will continue to urge other people to not see it. I refuse to encourage spam of any sort, no matter what the justification may be behind it.

=c.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I saw Elvis once. Well, I thought it was Elvis. It turned out to an Alien in a silver jump suit.

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Can't figure out why people are so threatened and freaked-out by this movie.

It is no more hyped or talked about than many other movies have been, it is no more violent than many, it's ideas are no more controversial than many.

Why does it upset people so? Why do people feel compelled to not only avoid seeing it but to advise others not to see it?

13. blueduc37

Dude! You nailed it! That is exactly why he went through it!

14. blueduc37

Whether you believe or not does not diminish the historical fact. Have you/ will you never ever watch anything historical? Did you watch Private Ryan and totally believe all the reasons we went to war? Full Metal Jacket? JFK? Man on the Moon? Nothing just because it's historical unless you totally believe it? wow.

15. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

According to what Mel Gibson said in an interview I watched with him(only watch part of interview though) he said that as many sorces as possible outside the Bible were used in putting the movie together. I have not seed the movie and I'm not one that has studied much of this so don't know what that really means. :)

I will eventually see the movie but not likely pay theatre price to see it.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Here is something funny: the movie cannot find a distributor in France. Yet the whole country is arguing over a movie they have not seen. Think it's bad in the US?:D

17. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Gibson could not have bought this kind of publicity.

Good on `im, I say! Well played!

18. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

All of those films cover something of interest (or not) to me. This film covers the last 12 hours of the life of Jesus Christ - allow me to paraphrase: a torture/snuff flick of some dude a few millenia ago. No arguement that he existed at all.

However, since I don't buy into the whole "Son of God" thing, why would I want to watch what would then become a documentary on Roman torture methods? It's not like JC was the only guy they crucified, before or after.

At least Jesus of Nazareth told the story before it got down to the nitty gritty.

19. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Au contraire, mon amare! (Apologies to all Frenchies, Papa Thiam and any Simson fans for my lame attempt to steal a Simpson's line and bastardize the language.)

Immense personal sacrifice for our loved ones is an exemplary human trait. Love and sacrifice, especialy to great extremes can make for great films. And although I am not a Christian, I am very interested in the history of Christ and his death.

Can you please accept the fact that I am squeemish? BTW, when there is an emergency like a car accident I act without squeem, so to speak - but I could not sit for hours of torture in a movie theater.

20. blueduc37

Okay. I forgot about your liberal constitution
    ;)

And BTW I have not seen it yet. I want to though, just been doing my part to keep unemployment up (working 1 job and 1 business). My 14 year old son saw it and said it was 'intense', but he wants to see it again. He's not a gore freak, he just appreciates the subject immensly. The kid read the whole bible through when he was 11 just to do it. I didn't even know till he was starting it over.