1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHOOPS!!! Is this gonna be ok??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by JakAHearts, Mar 12, 2003.

1. JakAHearts

JakAHearts Rickshaw Racing

Hey gang. My asteemed buddy overtorqued a water drain bolt on his bike (not the main one on the pump, but one on the head) and broke the bolt off inside the motor. Anyway, its not leaking, but now we can wire the head.

Assuming that this bolt has to be done at all, and were leaving for VIR soon, can I just fill the void with some silicone and call it a day or...??? Its gonna be a pain in the ass to fix in a jiffy, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks gang.

2. WERA552

WERA552 Master Brake Oil Spiller!

First...

Get a torque wrench... Then, smack your buddy over the head with it. :D

I've never teched with WERA yet but they might let you go with silicone.

You might want to buy an EZ-Out screw extractor and correct size drill bit on the way to VIR though. In case you need to fix it before you can get on track. That's really the better answer either way...

3. amaner

amaner will do math for food

Yeah, and after you fix it correctly, whack your friend over the head again! :)

4. RR_Kid

RR_Kid Formerly YZF600boy

hi

Yeah hi,

I'm the idiot friend, and i'm going to kick you both in your nuts....

No but really, we need a serious and most importantly correct answer...it is Wednesday and we are leaving on friday, i don't have much time to fix this piece of crap, so i need a resoultion fast....

Is MONGO around or one of the TECHIES?

Hello is there anyone out there..... helppppppppppppppppp

Lates

JON

5. WERA552

Re: hi

Apparently you like to break balls as much as bolts... :D

Seriously though - If you can get to the broken bolt with a drill getting the broken off bolt is not that hard with an extractor. I'm sure Mongo or a tech person will jump in here soon.

6. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

honestly, fix it now before it turns into a nightmare. Why chance it? Get the easyout (sure they are) and get that old bold stud thingy out and replace it. You will kick yourself later if you don't.

7. WERA552

I agree - two days is more than enough time to fix it right. No need to kick yourself later since JakAHearts is going to smack you side the head with the torque wrench... ;)

8. amaner

amaner will do math for food

Yeah, no need kicking your own nuts! :)

9. championr

championr Well-Known Member

Sears has a two different kinds of extractors that are fairly easy to use...but DON'T break an extractor bit in the bolt. Take your time it's not hard to do and in no time at all you will be back to kicking others in the balls and will not have to worry about not passing tech. :D

10. RR_Kid

I know i know....

it needs to be done right. And believe me i will get it done right. But the question for the day is, will it pass tech if i don't put a new bolt in, and i just silicone over the one that is stuck in there. I know it sounds dumb to do and it is the half ass way to go, but will it or will it not pass tech....

Thanks

Lates

JON

11. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

maybe, then again maybe not. It all depends on the individual Tech inspector at the track and their mood. It;s not worth taking the risk of going there and hoping to pass tech and not. Then what. What are your contingency plans if ya don't pass tech?

12. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

If it is a drain bolt it goes all the way through to the water jacket you better fix it. You should be able to drill it a little way down the bolt and just use a small screw driver and back it out. The bolt could just screw its self into the water jacket and pop you got a big leak. the bolt should not have any tention on it and should come out easy. Sometimes I have used a sharp pick and eased them out by turning it with the pick. do not trust silicone to do the work of a sealing washer.....IMHO FIX IT.:D

13. RR_Kid

Well the numbers show....

10 votes for fixing it

0 votes for not fixing it

FIXING IT WINS BY A LANDSLIDE.......

Lates

Jon

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Is it legal? No. Will you get caught? No idea.

Either way you're talking something that can literally kill you if it comes out so fix it correctly before getting on the racetrack.

15. GAMEDIC

GAMEDIC Really Now?

They work on gas tank locks too:D thanks again for the help...LOL i know you like to be able to break shit without saying "oops"