1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who will be President?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, Oct 6, 2008.

?

Who will win?

1. Obama will win

16 vote(s)
    37.2%
  2. McCain will win

18 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Chuck Norris will roundhouse both candidates and reassert his ultimate control.

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Who do you think will be our next President of the Free World?

Personally I think McCain/Palin will win. Regardless of merit I think a lot of citizens are afraid. Afraid for their livelihood, their homes, you name it. I hear people in the coffee shops and at work and they are scared. Scared people go for what they know.

McCain is familiar and despite his "maverick" claims the guy is the very personification of Washington, DC. For that reason alone I think people will vote for him and the semblance of normalcy they need.

I think if the economy was stellar and we were not at war Obama would win by a landslide.

2. HonZuki

HonZuki Banned

I see your point I agree with you but how sad. So much for us being home of the brave.

In a twisted way I hope McCain does win. Perhaps we need an even harder lesson to wake us up. The man has no clue about economics and voted with Bush 90% of the time. Fear that.

The 401k statements are int he mail, bad news is coming in print.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

On the other hand if we were not at war and the economy was stellar that would kind of deflate Obama's platform... Hell, I'm guilty myself of brushing off the new face for the old familiar face. I'm scared to vote for Obama! Right now I still can't decide.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I think regardless of who wins, we are screwed for the next few years. The European Union is beginning to take an everyone for themselves approach to the markets and stock futures are down in spite of (or perhaps because of) the bailout. I really don't have a clue who will win. Obama is ahead in the polls but the election is still a month away. If it were me, I'd tank and try again in four years. I don't think the party that wins this term will get four more years.

5. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

6. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

:stupid: The current state of affairs is really one ginormous mess. The guy next in line will be the patsy for the last 8.

7. HonZuki

HonZuki Banned

Why are you scared? Look at what 8 years of Bush and the Republican brought you, remember McCain voted with Bush 90% of the time.
    If this were your business and your tried the failed approach 2 times in a row with consistent significant losses, would you risk a third.:beer:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

8. HonZuki

HonZuki Banned

I understand what you are saying but consider this, if you had a severe deep cut and did nothing to stop your bleeding, what do you think would happen to you.

9. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

And Obama voted with the Dems 97% of the time. Obama has been a major part of the "Do Nothing" Congress of the last 2 years.

But hey, whatever floats your boat....

10. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:stupid: Also

11. HonZuki

HonZuki Banned

Ok, let's go with your thought.

Republican President for 8 years and Republican Congress for 6 years (it's actually more like 7) but I see you prefer to shift the responsibility to the Democratic Congress.:tut:

At what point do you consider this failure, when we are flying the Chinese flag?

We are broke, we are in 2 wars, we owe China $3 trillion, we have a $10 Trillion deficit, unemployment is going up but hey, let's see how much lower we can go...thanks but no thanks:D

12. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Getting rid of this liberal President should help. Then we need to pick away at this Congress by not voting for the majority of the incumbants. It's easy to decided. Figure out which ones voted for the bailout then go to the polls and vote against them. :up:

13. Hater

Hater Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Palin isn't familiar and I think she scares a lot of people more than Obama. 20% of VP's have become Pres due to the death of the President while in office. Let's face it, McCain is old and the pressures of being President are enough to kill anyone.

14. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

But isn't that where a complete lack of experience and not having ever done anything (wrong) will pay off for Obama? ;)

The debate about deregulation/free market/other causes etc. hasn't really even begun but I'm not sure in the end how the Dems would end up being seen as the main scapegoats after one term. If the economy tanks wouldn't the Dems argument then be the devil you know vs. the people who caused the problem?

And who would the GOP choose? McCain will be too old. Palin is hard to imagine before 2016 if at all. Romney? Maybe my filters mean I am getting too much lefty news but some GOPers are saying if they lose the WH (and possibly the senate) plus get hung with the blame it will require more than housecleaning and new faces ie. rebuilding the brand.

15. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

How many VPs have taken over due to the death of the President and which of those was for something other than assination of the President?

16. 999

999 Well-Known Member

You understand that current senate rules require 60 votes to move legislation forward right? And that the do-nothing dems only have 50 seats?

17. Hater

Hater Well-Known Member

Assassination
    Four vice presidents succeeded to the presidency upon the assassination of the incumbent. Andrew Johnson for Abraham Lincoln in 1865, Chester Arthur for James Garfield in 1881, Theodore Roosevelt for William McKinley in 1901], and Lyndon Johnson for John Kennedy in 1963.

Natural Death
    Four Vice Presidents inherited the presidency after the natural death of the incumbent: John Tyler for William Henry Harrison in 1841, Millard Fillmore for Zachary Taylor in 1850, Calvin Coolidge for Warren Harding in 1923, and Harry Truman for Franklin Roosevelt in 1945.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I don't think either candidate or party has the balls to do what needs to be done.

19. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

It takes some serious imagination to visualize it BUT...

if McCain and Palin win and the shit storm the US is enduring right now were to get turned around under McCain and Palin and McCain survived until 2016 then Palin would be elected by a landslide. That's just how it goes and quite frankly, if they could pull that out it should go that way.

20. 999

999 Well-Known Member

McCain will win, because he and Sarah are going to get all maverick-y.

America craves maverickness.