1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who to go to for tax strategy??

Discussion in 'General' started by kevincg, Dec 28, 2020.

1. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

All knowing Beeb, who is the professional to call for minimizing taxable liability? I have a CPA but he really just tells me the B&W data, and sends me the bad news about what I owe.
    I have spoken to some Wealth Management folks, but they mainly want to sell me insurance or annuities. Not interested in either.

Do I need a better CPA, or is there another option to go to? I feel like I am not getting the maximum advantage with what I am doing and I HATE paying so much of my money to the Fed for them to set fire too.

Any advise??

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

If you were in/closer to Minnesota, I'd say give my brother a call. He does my taxes, and we talk all the time about minimizing tax liabilities.
    I mean, yes, he's a CPA. But, I generally make a call to him before I make financial moves to discuss the tax implications.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I would say it sounds like you need a better CPA. (And/or a tax attorney, depending on your specific needs)

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

Small business strategic CPA

shop around

regular CPA’s just want to do taxes as straightforward as possible, without the planning options

there are also some beebs on the topic like biz-warriors.com

Edit- just saw you’re also in G’vegas
    I did an initial consultation with these guys:
    BW Tax Advisory Group LLC
    301 Rutherford St suite c, Greenville, SC 29609
    (864) 900-2520
    https://goo.gl/maps/SHqWQ9deGgfijR116

but am not totally convinced

let me/us know what you find

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    kevincg likes this.
  5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Why waste money on a CPA when you have us? We're free.
    Wikibeeb has all the answers and some of them are bound to be right.
    We can give you the kick in the assets that you need.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Find out who Wesley Snipes used.

Then find someone else. :D

BigBird, evakat, Sabre699 and 2 others like this.
  7. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Are you in Greenville, SC? (Per zee German's post) If so, what type of business? My neighbor is an awesome CPA....he specializes in construction companies but could probably help in a lot of ways. I can ask if he's interested in taking on another client.

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Tax strategy?
    Curacao, Belize...or any number of other "offshore" island havens.
    I hear the Isle of Mann is a favorable tax-sheltering location, and they allow guns. Win-win! :D

9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Change your name to Dennis Celery and move your money to the Caymans. If uncle sam wants some tell him no, you are a sovereign citizen and you dont owe them d&^k.

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Give me a call: 1-800-BUY-2STROKES

YamahaRick and pscook like this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

Tell your CPA to read: “what your cpa isn’t telling you“

;)

12. kevincg

I am in Greenville SC. I have a few businesses one of which is construction materials supply.
    I would take any contact info you may have. I'm starting to look for 2021

13. kevincg

I am looking into this option also, but it's looking more like a long term expense!
    Maybe a good CPA can use it as a write off.

14. kevincg

Thanks for the information, I'll look at both.

What a wealth of data there is here. Some of its even useful!!

15. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Not to sound curt, but it really isn't rocket science unless you're a business owner. If you're just a normal Joe, then there's only a handful of things you can do(legally) to really minimize your tax obligation. My best friend is a CPA and I discuss the same things with him every year.

I'm happy to give you some ideas. Would need to know more about your situation, age, income, retirement goals, etc...

16. Jed

Jed mellifluous

BDO did my former FIL financial managment about 15 years ago with a guaranteed tax shelter. The gubberment said NOPE! to it. BDO said too bad client, pay up. Lawsuit ensued.

Don't look for tax shelters after the fact. Pay what's owed and then plan ahead. Things like domestic oil drilling provide ways to reduce tax on income derived from oil and gas produced by well. There are companies that sell shares. Also buying tax credits from companies that buy land and then put it in environmental trusts works.

17. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

PM Sent

Phl218 likes this.
  18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Too bad Frank J. Wilson has passed.

19. kevincg

I met w/ these guys today. Not really a big help, unfortunately. I do not think a CPA is the answer unfortunately, so I will try an few more contacts/ideas.

Turns out, you just cant get around paying taxes unless you are a politician and I will not stoop that low.

20. Phl218

Phl218 .

Best you can do is put your money somewhere before taxes.

retirement, paying family members, ...

There is quite some literature on it.

Do churches pay taxes? Here’s your answer.