1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who needs a new dirt bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, May 4, 2024.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Very newbie, girl friend, and small child friendly.

[​IMG]

#imaneedaminute

@motion I may be your long lost formally ship-wrecked son, left for dead and raised by apes or meth heads(close enough)....you can make up for abandoning me buy purchasing me this fine motor scooter....:D

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1569745057208206/

motion likes this.
  2. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Not an '82 YZ490J, based on the swing arm and shock linkage. I've got a nice original, and original owner IT490K, with an Iowa street title I'll sell you for slightly less than this, @ChemGuy.

ToofPic and YamahaRick like this.
  3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Mods: re-title thread to "Who wants their right ankle shattered into pieces?"

cpettit, Once a Wanker.. and ToofPic like this.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That thread would feature this:
    IMG_0659.jpeg

SpeedyE, Sabre699, rd400racer and 3 others like this.
  5. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

My Dad bought me a used 360 when I was about 12,if I remember right.I never once rode it.I never could kick the bastard over.It looked something like this pic,but yea..It sat in the carport for years 3209012700_ba0e46b07a_z.jpg

6. YamahaRick

Don't forget this one -

7. YamahaRick

I have a 1974 DT175 in my collection - all original. I had (a different) one in high school - it was my 16th birthday present. But when I got it, it had a 34mm carb, custom expansion chamber, MX175 close ratio transmission, clubman bars, and a dual leading front brake, I think off of a TD2:

upload_2024-5-5_2-11-22.png

My 1974 DT175, 1983 RX50, and 1963 YG1:

upload_2024-5-5_2-13-38.png

Damn - 49, 41, and 61 years of age.

Last edited: May 5, 2024
    SpeedyE, ToofPic, ducnut and 4 others like this.
  8. Once a Wanker..

That must have been one cool DT/MX/TD2 175, Rick. Any suspension upgrades from the MX, etc?

9. Once a Wanker..

I stand corrected @ChemGuy
    My memory failed me, and I neglected to properly do my homework. The fuel tank and cap do leave me puzzled. Doesn't look like a Clarke tank.

https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1982/5/1/yamaha-yz490j

ChemGuy likes this.
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

As a previous owner of that motorcycle, I concur :D

11. ChemGuy

Thanks but I am not really looking. This pooped up in my feed and its so clean I had to post it.

Plus big bore 2T should always be posted to remind everyone they're still out here, waiting to send you to hospital with just a tiny extra twit of the wrist.

12. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I started a YZ490 once. I was trail riding at gorman way back in the mountain trails. Dude is sitting next to his bike at the side of the trail. "I crashed and broke my ankle. I can ride it back but I cant get it started." I got it started and off he went.

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Buddy had a 501 Maico that would be happy to kill anyone who cared to straddle it. :beer:

ToofPic likes this.
  14. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

That DT is sweet Rick. That was my first bike. Same color and everything. It did not survive well… I still have it but it may be beyond restoration.

Once a Wanker.. and YamahaRick like this.
  15. ChemGuy

Stumpy, TurboBlew and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You’ll shoot your eye out, kid.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

SOLD........

18. Once a Wanker..

The kickstarter on my IT490 has been replaced and repaired a few times. Raced it in both VA MX and VCHSS / enduros. I bought my then GF, now better half an 'engagement' XR200, and discovered I liked riding it in the tight woods way more than the IT.

Never did learn to 'keep time' though.

TurboBlew and ToofPic like this.
  19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

That's all the excuse I need for a 2 stroke purchase :)

20. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I have an SR500 flattracker. Robby Bobby once pushed it roughly 37 miles to get it started in time for my race. As much as he needs the exercise, I relented and outfitted it with an external starter.
    But, there is another. When I bought my BMW R90 the kickstart lever was missing. I sourced a replacement and quickly discovered why. That was in 1990, and I've never touched the kickstarter again.

ducnut, ChemGuy and Once a Wanker.. like this.