1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who here runs TZ wheels on their FZR400 or knows these two names??

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by fireman343, Aug 29, 2012.

1. fireman343

fireman343 Well-Known Member

Ok, I don't have much info on my new bike.. I'm trying to get everything together so I can make a trackday and race this year with it.

What I do know is the bike has been modified like crazy by someone that raced it with WERA. I got it off a college kid who knew nothing about racing/bikes and sat on it for 4yrs. The owner(s) before him on the title are Douglas Mayer and Michael Kane. If anyone knows any of these guys please let me know and or give him my email address [email protected]

My question comes from me putting on the rear wheel. It fits, lines up with the front sprocket, but is kinda tight/hard to turn when on the rear stand. This is with it loose or tight. I rode it around my block a few times today and everything felt good, it's just the rear is more tight then I like.. And this is with the rear pads pulled away from the disc. *edit- the wheel bearings feel good and chain is brand new and not tight.

The one good thing is, the bike came with a good diagram of how the front/rear wheel goes on, I followed it but something just doesn't feel right. I've taken the wheel off more times then I'd like to say, and I'm no slouch around the garage.. I just wish I had more info on a bike that was 80% complete when I got it last month. As you can see it has custom rear brake caliper made by performance machine.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Pics always help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  2. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Chain? (Altho it doesn't look like it is binding in the picture.)

Long shot, missing bearing spacer inside wheel? (This would show up mostly with a tight axle, you said loose/tight doesn't matter.)

Tire rubbing against swingarm in front? (Yeah, that would be pretty obvious, but if you changed gearing...)

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Chain does look way tight...

4. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

need 1" of play in chain and make sure the tire is clearing front of swingarm for sure.

Also have you pulled the wheel off and tried to see if you can rotate the bearings by hand? They might have sat to long and possibly are sticking, I doubt it but I would check that.

When your done with the bike PM me with a price. Wish I still had mine.

5. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Looked at pics and the chain definately looks tight. Have you tried to spin the wheel with the chain off?

6. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Looks like a pile of junk. I'll be a friend a take it off your hands.

7. drybreak

drybreak Fuelish Boy

As a starting point, I'd loosen everything up and see how it spins. If it's free, try shimming to prevent whatever is binding as you tighten things up. If it's binding with everything loose, check that it's not because of a problem with existing shimming.

8. fireman343

Thanks for the replys..
    First, the chain is not tight.. It has enough slack.. (1-1.5") it's brand new and I just rivited it on when I took the pics. The wheel was tight and was hard to spin with no chain on it when i was checking the alignment of the sprockets. The front clears the swingarm, and sides as well.. Tire is not touching anything..
    Bearings spin on my fingers and the Spacer thing inside the wheel looks like it is in there. And it's not torqued too tight.. Does this with the bolt not even on!
    I'm going to just buy new wheel bearings (wouldn't hurt to have new ones anyway, and see if that helps. I've got all day off and my boy is in school.. So I'm going to figure this punk out come hell or high water! Good friend of mine that I race with recommended checking the axle to see if it's bent. I don't think it is as it slides into the wheel just fine, but I'll check that and see if it's straight. Thanks everyone for the ideas and help!

And SmokeSignalRT.. Thanks, but I think I'll keep this "pile of junk" for a little while.. Lol

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  9. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

yep checking the axle would be a good idea....Im interested to see what you find!

good luck :up:

10. fireman343

Thanks, yeah I'll post up what I find..

11. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

I'd be checking the spacer length between the wheel bearings, that is usually the culprit in this scenario. Even .005" will start to bind.

12. fireman343

Good call.. I took the wheel off this morning and the axle is straight, the bearings (although turn) are a little rough. I tried to clean them out, only to find that does nothing.. So the old ones are coming off and new ones going on hopefully today or tomorrow. I'll check the center spacer as well and see if everything checks out good there. Report what new bearings do for me. I'm 80% sure that might be the culprit since the bike sat for so long.

13. ricracer16

ricracer16 Well-Known Member

Probably not the problem but thinking outside the box. Could it be that the swingarm is tweaked?

14. fireman343

It "seems" good, and doesn't have any noticeable marks or stress cracks etc.. But you really never know until it's tested or everything else has been changed on it but the wheel and swingarm. Thanks for thinking outside the box

15. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Or in this case: thinking out side the DELTABOX. YUK YUK, dam I kill me.

16. rx49

rx49 Active Member

check the rear wheel spacer outer diameter and make sure that they ONLY touch the inner race of the bearing and do not ride on the outer race of the bearing . If touching the outer bearing race binding will accure.

17. shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Make sure the caliper is not stuck. Take the caliper off and see if it frees up

18. fireman343

Ok, well replaced front and rear bearings and it's a little better, but still hard to turn by hand. So, up next is replacing the spacers and then the rear axle.

And rx49, everything rides on the inner race, not the outer.
    Shift96, I thought the same thing at first, but pulled the pads away from the rotor and it still doesn't spin easy.

19. fireman343

FIXED!!! Ok, after replacing the wheel bearings, I thought I would try a few different things with the spacers. The brake side spacers were not on right.. The drawing is crude and didn't specify which spacer went where. I just went off the drawing. Anyway, I flipped the two and now spins nice and easy! Thanks to everyone here for the help.
    See ya on the track soon

20. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I'm glad you got it. I knew it had to be a spacer issue.