1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White plates on TD bikes?

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyE, Nov 12, 2018.

1. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

You were a cool/good looking guy too :cool: Im not gay, but when you are desperately ugly, you notice things like that :D :( :D

G 97 likes this.
  2. SpeedyE

My point exactly, Eddie!!! :D

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And.....you'd be wrong :crackup:

SpeedyE likes this.
  4. SpeedyE

We are two pages past that, keep up, currently I'm hitting on Garth :D :crackup::Putter::crackup::D

G 97 likes this.
  5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

if the passer was close enough to spook the passee, the passer is still likely at fault.

sure, there have probably been incidents where the passer was 10ft inside and the passee ran off track. but those are the real outliers. if the pass was "close", the passer should have left more room. one should always pass for the comfort of the passee at a trackday. thats y the gap I leave gets larger the slower someone is.

that brings up another thing... its pretty ez to recognize how slow someone is on track based on your closing speed. thats way more visible than someone's white plates. which makes this "safety issue" even more absurd.

stk0308 likes this.
  6. SpeedyE

I think what has happened was:
    Originally td on friday b4 race, was race practice.
    Then trackdays became their own entity, but it was known that advanced was racer practice.
    As more TD'ers influxed, advanced went from racer practice and morphed into an advanced streetrider session.

many years ago at my last trackday their was an incident, progressive life altering injury for me. I was passing a guy close on the outside of exit, he didnt know I was coming/there, he abruptly lifted up, took my line, took all of the pavement, I was already commited, i purposely avoided contact and headed for the grass. From there it turned into a single-bike freak accident for me.
    When it was addressed on a td forum, they fillet'd me.......That guy was going too fast all day, that guy was passing on the inside, that guy was going too fast for the 3rd lap, etc, etc, etc........I was disillusioned and emotionally hurt.
    Today I understand what they were saying. I thought I was in racer's practice, but in truth, it had already become advanced/streetTDrider. I thought the session was invaded by streetriders, but in fact I was the invader.
    My bad, my biggest mistake.
    It's a streetriders TD, it is for the streetriders, not for racer-practice, anymore. imho.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  7. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Was this before, or after, you became infamous for riding wheelies down every 3rd straightaway you were on during sessions? Even though it was against the rules. Or ignored the rule about no MP3 players and earbuds being used by riders during sessions? It seems you got a lot of leniency out of the MCRA over the years because, at heart, your a good person. Just a bit of a squirrel.

SpeedyE likes this.
  8. stangmx13

I don't understand how thinking "it was racer practice" is relevant. u were on the outside and didnt complete the pass. thats it, 2 "mistakes". the guy on the inside either failed at making the corner or took the correct line as he should (I cant tell which u meant). all of those things occur in all trackday groups, in racer practices, and in races. fault is mostly on you for the failed pass attempt.

even the comments u listed don't seem to have anything to do w/ a failed outside pass. there was prob something else going on there.

badmoon692008 and SpeedyE like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry - playing catch up! :crackup:

:beer:

SpeedyE likes this.
  10. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Too bad their home track is Gateway. I’m 20 minutes away and haven’t ridden there for years.

11. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

hmmm. Ive seen yellow plate and white plate real racers in the expert group at trackdays that had no buisness being there. And ive seen no plate trackday guys who have never raced smoking fast racers in the expert group.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  12. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

The closing speed differential is an even bigger problem.

SpeedyE likes this.
  13. SpeedyE

I dunno, I dunno.
    I was dicing w/ a well respected (locally and bbs) local guy. He was smart and went underneath the guy clean , I was dumb and tried to go around the outside. If I remember right, after my friend went under him, he lifted up, when he lifted up it chaged his line and took the realistate I was aiming for.
    It was my fault, it was a sketchy attempted pass, it was something that souhld not have been done on a trackday. I took a calculated chance, and I guessed wrong. It was a pass I have seen done in races and on video tons of times, but it was risky to do to a streetrider. I put myself in jeapordy, no one else. I wish everyday I hadent had done it. I did it to myself.

14. stangmx13

if u stick an Intermediate group rider into Beginner, ya definitely. but for faster riders, I don't think it matters at all. the rider that is closing likely has more experience, knowledge, and skill. they should be able to use all that to safely pass. if the closing speed is large, that implies even more skill for the passer. it just doesnt work for Intermediate riders, haha.

G 97 likes this.
  15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah. That really didn’t need to be quoted. :D

cav115 and SpeedyE like this.
  16. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

It is a track day and I realize that. But in the advanced group it would be great to see more people up to speed on lines, etc. I realize it`s a business and part of customer retention probably is having people move up to "A" group.

Tough for racers to get productive time.

badmoon692008 and SpeedyE like this.
  17. SpeedyE

LOL :)
    MCRA has always been good to me. Always made concessions, always nice to me.
    Yes, squirrell is correct......it is hard enough for others to deal w/ me on occasion, living a squirrel's life on the daily is a struggle for me, lol. srs.
    MCRA did nothing wrong at that TD. I attempted a fool's pass. On me 100%.
    The forum where I was attacked was not MCRA, it was some non-local Street/TD forum. I dont know what I had done to any of them out there, but they were on fire. I remember them saying we were going too fast too soon. I remember one guy saying I passed on the inside w/ my knee in the dirt. Some other stuff....I dont remember. I think I was riding like I was racing, and maybe getting closer to some than they were OK with, I dunno. I believe they were saying I deserved to have crashed attempting that pass. I think it was the streetguys that were pissed, if i remember. I dont think i did anything to any racer that was out there. I dont remember any racer ever having an issue w/ me, always got along w/ guys i raced against. I dunno.

But MCRA, I been in club since I was 15 corner marshalling. Great club, great people. All but a couple have always been great to me.

18. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

LOL.

You`re only looking at one side. Maybe some shouldn`t be in A yet.....not necessarily a skill advantage of the passer.

Our last trackday had five of seven A group redflags within two laps.

Happened same way at another earlier in year. Silly mistakes. "A" group scolded by TD officials.
    No change.

Rode a total of 2-3 sessions both days.

SpeedyE likes this.
  19. stangmx13

I grew to hate trackdays because of that. then I saw Hayes and Beaubier come out to the same trackday and get plenty of testing accomplished in A group w/ ridiculously fast times. so its definitely possible. I realized that I just don't have enough skill be productive when surrounded by slower riders. now im working on it and hate trackdays less.

Ra.Ge. Raptor, 5axis, Gino230 and 2 others like this.
  20. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

"A" group racers they were riding with; not TD.

And most will never be Hayes capable. Not apples to apples

SpeedyE likes this.