1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whirring noise when bike is off

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Gravisman, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Gravisman

Gravisman Well-Known Member

I was trying to do some electrical and pretending to know what I was doing when I accidentally shorted a 12v wire and blew my FZ-07's ignition fuse. Upon replacing the fuse, things returned to normal, except for one very odd side-effect: there's now a whirring noise coming from somewhere near the throttle bodies. Some servo or electric motor is spinning for a second, pausing for a second, spinning for a second, pausing, and repeating ad infinitum. Even stranger, this effect is happening while the bike is keyed OFF, and it stops when I key ON.

Anybody have a clue what I might be dealing with?

2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Sounds like bad wiring to me :p

3. Gravisman

I sense the joke, but to be clear, as it stands none of the wiring is actually modified. I was in the middle of testing wires with a multimeter when I blew the ignition fuse. All the wiring is as it was.

4. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

So you have a mechanics stethoscope to find where the noise is coming from? Then trace that wiring to try and fin a short or melted wiring, etc.

5. saintlaurent

saintlaurent Well-Known Member

Is there some kind of anti-theft signal involved in the throttle bodies? I know SVs have something along those lines in the STB.

6. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

I had a bike do something similar and it was a bad relay.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

APS sensor is probably hunting for position. Try a battery disconnect first. Go through the diagnostics for the throttle bodies via the instrument cluster and pay attention to TPS/APS positions.

8. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Or it could be the gyros winding down.

Gino230 likes this.
  9. Gravisman

The noise was determined to be the idle air control motor. After figuring that out I noticed that other things like my lap timer were getting 12v power while the bike is keyed off and they shouldn’t. I’m sure the root problem is a short, but I haven’t been able to find it. Searching for shorts is not something I’ve done before and nothing I’ve found on the internet has made the process simple enough for this dummy to follow.

10. dudutzu

dudutzu Well-Known Member

If I was to guess, I'd say you're missing a ground somewhere, then electricity is looking for other paths to flow to ground, which happens to be other components' ground, making those components "work" somewhat... Not to mention that a missing ground is way easier to find than an intermittent short to ground.
    Good luck!

11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Yes, this point is when you pay a mechanic for his/her knowledge.

12. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I would look for chafed wires. Either pinched in the subframe area or steering area that eventually broke through. Try turning your steering to see if it makes a difference. Also what work have you done recently? Me personally (If I was frustrated enough not finding the problem myself). I would pay a low voltage electrician before I paid a mechanic to troubleshoot this. You will end up paying for less hours.

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

This is a one hour diagnostic paying job. Don't flatter the electricians too much.

14. Gravisman

Planning on hitting up a mechanic next week. They said to give ‘em an hour. If she can find the problem in an hour it will be well worth it considering how much I’ve already thrown at the problem.