1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which model gen gsxr750?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Zach kubiszewski, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Looking for advice which year gsxr 750 is best compromise for power,capability,cost to operate. Most of all parts availability. I got a steal on an 00 750. And ive been prepping it for the track ive realized that parts arent as readily available as they are for my L71000r or busa. Bike was cheap but if i wad it up im worries it'll take 3 months to gather parts to fix it. Is there a sweet spot? Common year? I was running my L7. Lowsided and it was expensive. So id like to retire it from the track for now. Im not good enough to use all of its potential anyway. Im a bigger dude. So I'd like to avoid the tiny bikes. I feel the 750 is a happy compromise for me. So lets please stick to those. Thanks.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

this makes no sense. If you wad a modern bike hard enough youre gona have a tough time putting it back together as well or better than it was originally prepped on the cheap.
    Clipons, rearsets, triples, swingarms arent unobtanium.
    Also the motto for track bikes is never enter hotpit with a bike youre not prepared to put in a dumpster.

3. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

K5 gsxr1k......thread over hahaha

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Honestly, the 00-03 750s are tanks, and still very capable bikes.

The Supermans are the best looking GSXRs after the Slingshot Oilers.:D

5. What do you mean it makes no sense? I have had open threads on here for a motor for the 00 750 for 2 months not one hit.. Can't find one from anyone other than some jackoff on ebay that wants more than i paid for the entire bike. Along with the 2 month wait on stock foot controls. Or the back ordered cam chain tensioner. The parts aren't readily available where if i wad it up/roast a clutch or 2nd gear i can have it fixed by next weekend. Idc about destroying the bike or throwing the money away. I didnt get into it expecting to spend no money. But I'd like my money spend to hold a little value. Instead of spending 2k to get my bike back together everytime it goes down.

6. Im with you I'm just looking for something a little slower to force me to focus more on technique instead of powering my way around people after a bad corner. Lol

7. I agree, i really like the bike but ive had it 3 months im still scrounging for parts and waiting for backordered stock stuff. That's what this is mainly about. I want parts availability without spending a fortune.

8. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Did you rebuild with new OEM parts? L7 has been around for 9 years now. Surely you could fine somethings to keep the cost down...
    I've got an L1 and am on my 3 "rebuild." It gets cheaper to do every time.

9. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

Running a 750 vs 1000 is not going to be that "big difference" in up that will help you learn. If you want a bike that you can truly learn to go fast on, lots of spare parts around, cheap, and doesnt have the hp to get you in over your head go get yourself a sv650.

Zach kubiszewski likes this.

10. L7 GSXR1000R has been around 7 years? I must be using the wrong term to describe my bike. Lol. But to answer your question i used a bit of stock and aftermarket. Upgraded controls added a few sliders that could've negated a lot of the damage. Nothing too crazy. But still cost me a few grand.

11. Ive given it some thought

12. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Thought you meant l7 750. That bike has been unchanged 2011-present. Lots of affordable parts available. Except fuel pump assemblies...

Zach kubiszewski likes this.
  13. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

OR they could make things worse if they catch on a curb and cause the bike to tumble. Those are a toss up as far as how well they work.

For a street bike to avoid damage in a standing almost still tipover.....they definitely work. Otherwise.....:oops:

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Is the '00-'03 750 worth considering?
    Absolutely. Prolly no other bike in any other era had the widespread support and interchangeability of parts between models. Someone always had/has parts so, as long as people haven't just thrown them away...
    Needed parts always seem to be a combination of some or all controls, pipes, subframes, wheels, tanks and bodywork...mostly interchangeable.
    Forget about buying OEM parts new. Lots of cross-indexing of parts between the 600, 750, 1000 and even the SVs. Look for used OEM parts and/or new/used aftermarket parts. I'm betting there's a treasure trove of leftover race spares in just about everyone's garage/shop/shed that's either forgotten about or so buried in other crap that it would take a good reason to dig it out. Money could be that good reason.

15. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I have an K8 600 and find parts are still readily available just about everywhere...Used OEM and aftermarket from all of the motorcycle parts dealers.

It's a super common bike that gets wadded up by street Rossi types all the time, parts are everywhere and pretty cheap. Interchange among different years is plentiful too

RoidRageFool likes this.
  16. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Just sold my 07 750. lots of interchangability with 06 600 and some crossoveres with 08 and 9.
    Had the 03 it was a great bike.
    The upgrade to the stock slipper cluthch on the 07 was worth the swap

17. Thanks for the help with my question. I appreciate it. :)

18. Awesome. This is the type of info i was looking for. Thanks.

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Any 06 and up IMO... If you think the 01 750 is a tank you should ride any TL....

20. So ive been looking doing a little research and what not i think im going to go after an 11+ bike. Just seems like with them still being in production they'll be easiest to find parts. At the same time there's 10 yr old bikes with the same parts i can buy cheap. So yeah, thanks suzuki for doing a 10 yr run on a mostly unchanged machine. Thanks for the advice guys. Even for the guys with irrelevant comments. I appreciate it. ;)

TLR67 likes this.