1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which engine oil for SV650

Discussion in 'General' started by pawlowm, Apr 19, 2001.

1. pawlowm

pawlowm Well-Known Member

I just bought race ready SV650. This is my first v-tvin bike. I am planning to race this bike. The person I bought it from told me to use 5W40 fully synthetic race oil. He also told me that this oil is much thiner than 20W50 for example, which should make the engine spin easier giving it some performance gain. I am affraid though that with the engine being hot 5W40 oil will become to thin. Please let me know which oil would be the best choice for my bike. Also how much oil will I need for one oil change. Thank you.

2. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Oh god, not the dreaded oil thread!!! Opinions will fly, facts will be in short supply. [​IMG] Basically, no one really knows, because to do a definitive test would be prohibitively expensive. There are some tests you can find on the web, and lab results also. Based on that info I use Mobil 1, in the 15W-50 weight. Is it actually any better for the engine than the generic Wal-Mart stuff? Dunno, but it makes me feel better. [​IMG] I change it every 3rd sprint weekend or every endurance race.

3. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

4. Kendall

Kendall Well-Known Member

For a stock engine I would use Suzuki's recommendation for oil grade/viscosity.

Paying more for synthetics may be wasting money in a stock SV engine. In my industry (roller bearings, motorcycles)we have found through testing that the key to long engine/bearing life is oil temperature not oil manufacturer. So if your engine is running overly hot due to some high compression pistons etc. then synthetics could help your situation. Although this is not the true oil temperature my SV coolant temperature w/(Water wetter) ran around 189 F at CMP last weekend which is well within a mineral based lubricant's range.

5. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

I prefer 50/50 WD-40 and carrot juice my self.
    [​IMG]

6. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

The other thing you want to look out for and avoid are the new "Energy Conserving" rated oils (CF rating).

This new rating specifies a lower amount of anti-wear agents (specifically zinc and phosphor). The EPA wanted this because evidentally they are bad for catalyitic convertors in cars if the motor is burning oil. I use Mobil 1 15/50 with no problems in my 400 superbike.

<cynic mode>
    The irony here, of course, is that by reducing anti-wear agents the EPA makes it more likely an engine could end up burning oil... which still contains anti-wear agents. Thus, a zero net gain.
    </cynic mode>

- Roach

7. RPMoran

RPMoran Member

Last year I used the Suzuki brand 10/40. I got it free from my sponsors (Whitt's Suzuki, Manassas VA) and changed it after every race weekend. I never had any oil-related problems w/ my SV, in fact I never had any engine trouble at all. I raced 10 weekends plus the GNF and Track Days.

8. WERA82

WERA82 Infidel, phone ringing...

Randy,
    You'll be happy to know your old steed is still pulling like a bulldozer too! I am running Mobil 1 20w50 in it now. I change the oil every weekend I race. I know it's expensive, but call me paranoid.

Unfortunately I lost the front end in the rain last weekend at CMP, so I got a few minor repairs to do before Talledega as well.
    [​IMG]

Are you racing this year? If so what kind of bike?

Lee

LEEnR6
    LEEnSV

9. RICKY LOVE

RICKY LOVE Well-Known Member

Does anyone know facts about anti-shear properties of the Mobil 1? I used it with no problems in a CBR600 for years then was being told that it wasn't good for the gearbox because it didn't have good anti-shear properties like the bike oil. I now use the Honda dino. juice in my 929 (Honda suggests- something about smoking the clutch- too slick). I could start using it in the baby Interceptor for the track. I don't have to worry about it smoking the clutch with all that power it has. [​IMG]

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I heard it has great shear properties so I tried it - it didn't do a damn thing to get the wool off that sheep.

11. Mongo, after the things I heard about you and that sheep, I'm surprised you were able to catch it to try shearing it. I'll bet it was relieved when it found out that's all you had planned on that day [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My understanding is that the synthetics have better shear strength. That's why they are supposed to last longer in everyday use. The issue in bikes with Mobil 1 is clutch slippage. I used it in my FJ1200 for years with no problem. After reading that it's been OK in SV's, I'm going to run to Wal-Mart tomorrow and buy some 15-50

12. RICKY LOVE

RICKY LOVE Well-Known Member

Mongo, you're a baaaad booooooy! [​IMG]

13. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

mongo, is that why you own the velcro gloves?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

[​IMG] Ain't tellin!

Who's your Daaaaaaaaaddddddyyyyyyyyy......

15. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Well-Known Member

I have used Mobil 1 with no prblems at in my FZR400 and YZF600 and ZX6R street bikes. And when I have torn the 400 and checked things out, I see very little wear on the bearings. Like "Roach", I use 15/50 but have notice the Team hammer folks use 10/30. 10/30 makes alot of sense to me for "little" engines. Have any of you used 10/30 Mobil 1 or any other good synthetic?

16. Kris18

Kris18 Guest

I have used mobil 1 10/30 for two consecutive years in a gsxr 750 and have never had any probs. I was also told to look out for clutch slippage, but I've never had a problem there either. I haven't justified paying the extra for bike oil yet.