1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which class would be best?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by brianspeed3, Oct 4, 2011.

1. brianspeed3

brianspeed3 Well-Known Member

So i just completed the Bargy school last weekend at Jennings. And am planning on doing WERA next season. Awesome time but super small class. Just me and a buddy one on one with Ed. CCS was having a race and had their practice on friday when we took the class, But we had the track to ourselves during on session. Kinda nice!

Anyway... Just trying to figure out which class would be best for me and which way to go with my bike. I have a 2004 GSXR600. I know superstock is pretty obvious in the description of the rules, but i have a cut down exhaust and double bubble screen. I know both are a cheap fix to make it stock legal, but i am 6'3 200 and know my bike is under powered compared to the newer bikes. So i was just trying to get some advices and opinions on which way to go. Should i just change those things out? Or just stay in Super Sport and get it remapped to run Race Fuel and pick up a full exhaust? I am fairly confident in the corners but don't want to get left on the straights. Would be running in the south east region and know there a couple tracks around here where straights might come in to play (Road A) based on my older bike and larger size. Just looking for some insight. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I don't race the C classes, but I think the general consensus is, at least in the novice classes, just go ahead and ride what you brung in any class it's eligible for. Thus, you can ride CSS, CSB, BSS, BSC and do the middleweight solo.

Track time.:up:

3. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

If you are serious about racing, don't make the decision on which bike or class to race in based on the bike you currently have. The cost of the bike is a fraction of the cost of racing. Seriously. Base it on the bike that's right for you.

My advice: start with an SV650. Don't worry bout your weight. Seriously, as a beginner, your weight will not be as much of an issue as your lack of skill. The SV will not mask your lack of it, and will force you to develop it. It will keep you honest, and teach your that racing is not about the bike.

The relative lack of power is a bit more forgiving of ham fisted throttle abuse. Less highsides.

4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Just ride what you have, exactly as it is.

If you feel compelled to swap out the double-bubble to make yourself Super Stock legal, then by all means... No one is going to care until you start winning, and even then, most (MOST) of the WERA riders I've met wouldn't care about something that provides no real performance advantage.

I also wouldn't worry about being down on power on that bike. Until you're winning Novice races, the equipment is relatively negligible... I ride an '03 600RR mapped for 87 octane. It dyno'd at 104hp a couple years ago.

I have passed 2011 R6's with super stock builds, and I have been passed by some guy on a first-generation R6 who was just killing me on the brakes, and corner exit. My bike is not the issue, and yours won't be either.

5. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Don't cheat the rules just because no one would protest. How much is a stock windscreen, maybe $15-20 off ebay if not free? Don't be a cheater. If it's that much of a limiting factor I would rethink racing/TD's in general.

6. MMX

MMX Well-Known Member

I like this thread

7. 418

418 Expert #59

Run what you got.

If you're good enough you'll be competitive regardless. If you're not, a newer bike wont help you anyways. At this point, track time is allot more important than what bike you're riding.

8. drop

drop Well-Known Member

i agree 100%.. but i just to keep the bitchers queit, would put a stock screen on it

9. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

This is the best advice in this thread but nobody ever listens.

It is also surprising the first time you get passed on a straight by a bike that has less HP than you. It's because they left the turn before with much more speed.

10. brianspeed3

brianspeed3 Well-Known Member

I am not really worried about the screen. More about the exhaust. Its been cut by 4 inches. I just dont want it to be a issue and want to do everything by the rules And can you run a full exhaust system in SS? I found a brand new leo system for really cheap.

Thanks for all the advice by the way. I know i am probably just being a typical newbie and way overthinking things.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  11. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

I actually did. I went and got myself an SV and I'll have to say it was the right choice. You won't beleive how much harder you'll push in a race then compared to TD's. The thing with the SV is, that when your pushen hard and make a mistake its not at quite a high a speed as say a 600/1000.

12. fossilfuel

fossilfuel Active Member

The SV650 is a fun bike to ride and that looks like a great class whether you are a newbie or 20 year veteran. I rode an SV at Road A race practice in June and fell in love with it! But it does look exciting to be on the grid of a 600 superstock race with three waves!

13. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

Yeah, I know, no one ever does.

The 650 is an awesome platform because its about the only competitive class (by that I mean where multiple bikes show up for each race) where 13 year old bikes are as competitive as new bikes.

It also cost less to run in tires, they tend to wear out less quickly than do the 600 or liter bikes. And after racing fees, that's the biggest cost to racing.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  14. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

You can change the exhaust in SS. You can change headers, midpipe, and can in SS.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Any exhaust is fine as long as it's within the sound limits.

16. MrOneNut

MrOneNut Well-Known Member

Plus one for the SV650. I rode two track days on mine and then my riding coach told me I should race in 2010. Loved the LWT SS & SB classes. He took my SV away from me last winter, so I was lucky enough to be picked up by a LWT Endurance Team. I rode a 750 this year until it got stolen after Rd A in Jun. Take what you have, tear it down and clean it, grease every pivot point, get the suspension set up right for you, fresh brake fluid, high performance pads (love Vesrah myself), stainless lines, frame sliders (everyone has a different opinion), cheap bodywork/paint, and go race! Track time and tires should be the expenses you are worred about. Love the SV though and miss it, but 600 for me next year and more endurance. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!