1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which AR 15 type rifle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The funniest part about you two arguing is in most of it you're saying the same thing. :crackup:

JeffroJ likes this.
  2. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

One of us realizes that...the other one is somewhere else. ;)

3. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

You can make it a precision shooter. Still not a precision gun. That's all I'm saying. And you want to argue and argue and argue. You're a fucjing joke dude.

4. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Just go hang out at ar15.com bro wih all your amazing info.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The past few pages were really beginning to remind me of that hole lol! I don't even know what you guys are arguing about anymore lol.

6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Wabbit season!!

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Maybe it's time for an AR build-off? :flag:
    Loser's gun sale donated to the AFF? :clap:

Five rules...
    Decide between yourselves: 1) what same ammo of choice, 2) what same sighting system, 3) whether or not to use a sling, bipod, jacket, bag, whatever, 4) the course of fire, 5) with the exception of zero-ing at an agreed upon distance, no further work to the rifles at the event. :blart:

Do whatever break-in/tuning/smithing deemed necessary prior to, and, fwiw, you can even submit an off-the-shelf unit you've massaged. :dead:
    Should settle it, huh? :Pop:
    I volunteer as an un-biased, tie breakin', third shooter. :Putter:

The only thing I care to think of, that this will accomplish, is that the AFF gets a hefty check. :crackup:

knutz likes this.
  8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

So, I'm looking to get into building one of these. The biggest question on my mind is, I think: The "lower" is the actual identifying part of the gun, that I have to buy through an FFL - right? I've seen lowers for as cheap as $42, up to $600. What are the differences I'm gonna see with such a price range? Durability, I would assume.. what else? Reliability? Accuracy?

Obviously a bunch of other parts will affect all of those as well.. I'm asking specifically about lowers. (Thinking being, anything else I can just buy on my own and upgrade - but if it's the lower that's holding back some aspect, then I need help again)

9. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Take what I say with a grain of salt, I'm sure many here have way more experience than I but.....

While you can sometimes buy lowers with fitment issues I think it is a rarity.

Any time you don't buy matched receiver sets (upper and lower) you run the risk of having a loose fit between the two pieces. There are ways and things sold to tighten up the fit so you don't get any rattle though.
    I'm sure an excessively loose fit would harm accuracy especially on precision shooting .

As far as functionality, as long as the upper and lower go together I've never had problem with function or reliability. All the lower does is house the magazine, trigger and buffer tube.

The more you pay for a lower generally means you get a billet lower instead of forged and the fit and finish is better.

Hope that helps

10. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

:bow: Is this gonna a precision rifle match or run and gun test of durability? :flag:

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That's up to them. Obviously, hits count. Make the hit or sell your shit. :D

12. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Ok, so that's another thing I'm wondering - I did see a bunch of "matched upper/lower" combos as well. How important is that? You mention that they might be loose if they're unmatched, and that if I wanted I could help them fit together better. Is a "matched set" truly matched (in the same way that engine case halves are matched, ie, THAT specific bottom half goes with THAT specific top half, and no other)?

13. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

:clap: It's a got a certain ring to it. "Make the hit or sell your shit"

14. luke738

luke738 Well-Known Member

"Loose fitting." LOL. The rifle I was issued for recruit training would actually pivot around the rear takedown pin, like a good 1/16th of an inch to each side. Had no problem going 10/10 on the 500 meter line, though. This arguement is pretty entertaining to say the least.

daveknievel likes this.
  15. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Generally speaking it means those two pieces should fit together pretty tight. They should still work with other uppers and lowers as long as the other pieces are machined to tolerance.

They just might not fit as tight to other pieces

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

For mil-spec one lower is as good as another. With a few exceptions all lowers and receivers actually come from just a handful of forges.

17. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Before I get embroiled in an argument..... since I don't do any sort of long distance shooting I'm just assuming that a rifle that has copious amounts of slop would be inherently less accurate than one that doesn't .

18. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

True unless he's gonna drop some coin on a billet set.

19. luke738

luke738 Well-Known Member

Oh I'm sure that is true, but with a loop sling the upper receiver is under considerable tension, which took out what slip there was. My worst shooting was done standing from the 200 meter line, maybe it came into play there. I have qualified on pure crap to freshly issued M-16A2s and A4s. They all shot the same to me

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

If the set is forged, chances are it's a hand matched set by the manufacturer, based on some set of tolerances.
    Billet gives you a better chance of tighter matching.

Sent you a note too. If you want to road trip, I'll help you build it.