1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which AR 15 type rifle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah okay, goofy scripted shit. The comments make more sense now :D

2. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

Or Sons of Guns

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

A company full of half-ass redneck hacks pretending to be quality gunsmiths.

4. Fastjedi350

Fastjedi350 Well-Known Member

I just picked up a DPMS lower. I am going to put a colt lower parts kit in with a Timmy trigger 3lb pull an a hydro buffer. The gun show is at the end of the month and I'm going to look for a flat top with a chrome lined bore with m4 ramps. Bolt and charging handle will be from Bravo Company. Not sure about furniture yet but will deff be something I can attach crap to. Actually looking for a PEQ15 but can't find any for a decent price.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The daughter got her grill fixt.

2xidb flat though it be.

6. Fent

Fent I'm Registered??

Hmmmm.. I really love the Monolithic Upper and free floating barrel!! Very tacticoooool!

Todd

7. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I've posted this rifle a few times but this is all you need.
    M&P 15 I've had for about 5 years now and I don't think it's ever jammed and it's been really muddy, acog and if you don't want to blow your ears out a suppressor.
    Perfect for target and I've killed a ton of hogs with it.
    [​IMG]
    If ammo were cheaper I'd do the exact same set up in 308 just for hogs, but if the world ends a 223 will be fine for people shooting.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Next to Colt and a couple other manufacturers S&W is one of the only one's able to produce all major components in house from barrel to receiver. Their melonite barrels are truly a "game changer" in the sense of affordable accuracy and durability. I got this rifle before they started producing the new barrels and I want one. Guess I need another rifle.:D

Attached Files:

9. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Literally just came back in the house from finish assembly on my lower. Went with the Spikes Battle trigger (nickel boron coated) and I'm going to use their NiB coated BCG too. Magpul CTR stock, and running the standard A2 grip for now. Plain and simple, but feels right to me.

I've been pretty well set on a Bravo Company 14.5" mid length upper (w/ pinned FH, not an NFA gun) but I'm still kinda looking as it'll be a while before I buy it, gotsta get the racebike finished too.

The Noveske Infidel 13.7 upper is super tempting.... but super expensive.

10. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Ya this is an AR thread.....but...

Just spent a day at the range with a couple of VEPR .308s. One was a 22" with some good glass, the other 16.25. They're heavy (a;; that pretty walnut furniture...) but these are super nice and shot very tight groups.

Attached Files:

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Scotty87 tell me you've seen the Art of The Precision Rifle. 1000yd hits with a Larue OBR.

12. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I'm aware of the Magpul Dynamics vidoes, but haven't seen any of them. Are they worth it?

I would love to do an AR-10 next, but it's really cost prohibitive. Even if you build the whole thing from scratch and search out the best deal on every individual component it's still crazy cash. I've thought of splitting the difference between 5.56 and .308 and doing a 20" 6.8 rifle, but for some reason I'm just not into it. For .308 I'll probably just get a Rem 700, some good glass and a bipod and spend time at the range. I want a bolt gun anyway.

I wish I had started this AR build sooner. Picking the individual components was fun and assembling it was a piece of cake. I bought a few handguns this winter which slowed it's progress, and with race season coming I've got too start throwing some cash at the bikes.

<edit> That LaRue OBR shit is super, super cool. Wish I had the coin.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I thought the Precision Rifle vid was best. The carbine class vids are cool for drills and just learning how to "apply the rifle in social situations" :) Heard good things about the classes too but they sell out really fast.

14. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I"ve got the LMT CQB MRP (that's a mouthfull). Love it. LMT is always considered a top tier manufacturer, but they just don't have the "name" that a few others do but for the most part their stuff is very high quality and in the case of the MRP (one piece billet upper receiver with integrated rail system), a very unique system that makes the whole setup modular.

I have a 16" 1:7 chrome lined 556 barrel, and a 16" chrome lined 6.8SPC barrel (reamed to SPCII specs) along with appropriate bolt carrier groups and magazines.

they just announced a 1:7 300AAC BLK barrel, so i'll probably end up with one of those and maybe a 204 ruger barrel as well just to round it all out. :)

but the ability to change calibers in about 5 minutes was nice for me. I know you can do it with uppers like that as well, but to replace the barrel with whatever I want in 5 minutes or less is cool. anything from a 10" to 20", stainless or chrome lined, and four calibers (plus anything else if you find the right guy to modify existing barrels to fit the MRP). Plus you can upgrade to a piston system if you want to go that route as well.

with the integrated free floating rail system, everything is in line, no messing with alignment with longer optics on the top rail, plenty of room for accessories if you are into that, etc. etc.

only disadvantage is the weight (it's a bit heavier than some other systems out there) and initial cost.

Now they have the 308MWS system out as well, same idea but in the 308 size (243, 7-08 and 338 barrels out soon). British govt just bought a ton of those for their military. :)

not everyones cup of tea but I like it. I have mine setup with all QR attachments so I can have it set up with harris bipod and Zeiss 6.5-20 for target/distance work or throw a couple of levers and it's got an Eotech and VFG for close range work. now to get a stamp for it so I can put SBR barrels on it. :) there's a photo of it somewhere in this thread with the range setup.

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am kinda partial to the LaRue stuff as I hear nothing but good about it and it is pretty close to me. According to Mapquest it is 8.69 miles.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

All the other guys were using bolt guns .308 :eek:

To say that is phenomenal with a gas gun is an understatement. All I have from Larue is a mount, their rifles are way overqualified for me punching paper at 100yds. I still want one. Top notch company as well. The Dillo dust is great on chicken.:D

17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Its funny that one of the best Black Gun manufacturers is from the most liberal part of Texas. I am sure there would be all sorts of leftie college students out there protesting if someone would give them free food and gas money....:crackup:
    I will have to try the Dillo Dust.

18. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

That's beautiful! I've had one like this since I was a teen- I'd love to upgrade but I can't justify it since I don't target shoot enough and never hunt any more.
    [​IMG]

19. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

Scotty, I've got both (an AR10 and a .308 bolt gun) and hands down I enjoy shooting the bolt gun. I hardly ever touch the AR10 anymore, seriously. Wanna buy it? :D

But really, I go for the bolt gun and just relax while squeezing off a few rounds. yeah the ar10 is fun being it's semi auto, but IMO not nearly as fun, not sure why, or how to explain it. Just think, when you load up 20 and fire them off in a matter of 3-4 seconds, you could have just thrown a $20 bill in the trash :D

For some reason, I just can't make myself like the .223 caliber. That's something I can't explain either, not sure why. Hell I've never even shot a .223

I need to get something in a 7.62x39, as I've got a stupid amount of ammo stockpiled for it, and nothing that shoots it. It's come down quite a bit nowadays too, $200 per 1k so it's not too terrible to stockpile. Should have never sold my AK, I might end up with another for when society comes after me :)

20. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

Colt 6920 is what recommend to all noobies. Its the civilian equivalent of the US military Colt M4 and standard issue to most US law enforcement agencies & police departments. Its as close as you can get to the real thing, hell it is the real thing with the exception of a semi-auto fire control assembly. Its also reasonably priced, a great place to start and will be no questions asked should ever want to sell/trade it anytime in the future. Everybody knows what a 6920 is. Search around internet dealers and look to pay $1000-1100. Because its pretty much impossible to lose money on it, it makes for a overall great investment as first AR.

You will hear people argue back and forth on their favourite brands or recommended setups. But regardless of what you choose, make sure to SHOOT THE STOCK RIFLE FIRST before going all mall ninja with the accessories. Buy a bunch of Pmags (atleast 5) and a bunch of ammo (atleast 500 rounds). Shoot those 500 rounds first (trust me it wont take long with 30round mags) and then figure out what you might want to change. Adding a bunch of accessories not only weighs down the rifle, but can also affect the operation of it and your ability to be proficient with it.

After you gotten some decent experience shooting an AR (or if you wanted a 2nd rifle). Then would I suggest looking into things like middy's, rails, grips, optics, stocks, different calibers, SBR's, suppressors, etc.